Color coding request

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

joeking

Color coding request

Post by joeking »

Customize/color coding... dialog should have check boxes so you can choose which filter will be active when Activate color coding is checked. Or why not have color coding sets? Multi-set activation? A set would be a series of rules/filters.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll let narayan answer this :)
personally i don't see the point of color coding altogether
joeking

Post by joeking »

"personally i don't see the point of color coding altogether"

That's interesting. So you include functionality that you don't see the point of.

I think it could be useful in datamining. If you have a 1000 files then it might be faster to search for *.jpg, *.psd, *.tif. Colour coding this could help you see what type of file you have the most of. A visual graph display of the types of files you have.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I fully agree with the request: The user should be able to activate some rules selectively. Currently it is "all or none".

One such important rules that could be activated at all times (independently of the other rules) is to identify the junction points.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

personally i can't see what color coding can offer that plain old visual filtering can't. But perhaps it's me getting old and grumpy!
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Nikos,

I second this request of having the ability to selectively enable/disable individual color coding filters.
nikos wrote:personally i can't see what color coding can offer that plain old visual filtering can't.
Well the difference is that if you have old visual filtering enabled you don't see other files. This is ok when you are just looking for particular set of files in a certain folder, but this limits your ability to browse around in other folders as you have to keep turning on and off visual filters every time you want to see which files match your filter criteria.

Also you can’t distinguish between multiple visual filters when they are applied together.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

Let me add my vote to adding individually selectable colour coded filters and also to multi-sets of colour coding.

I am also bewildered that Nikos does not see the benefits of Colour Coding. Perhaps he should try the following colour coding scheme subset:
* highlight folder junctions (so you don't mess them up)
* gray out useless backup, temp and repository control files (so you can clean them up when you get around to it)
These two usages would be cumbersome by using only visual filters.