Merry Christmas! (See the gift inside)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Merry Christmas! (See the gift inside)

Post by wasker »

There're lots of people that think that registry settings are a curse for x2. I'm not. I feel the pain of such people though. Also, there's a lot of calculation involved even if you aren't afraid of doing registry edits. This is why Xplorer2 Setting Editor has born:

Use this tool at your own risk and backup your settings key before making any modifications. I'm not responsible for any damage that could be caused by using or not using this tool.

The tool should run on Windows 2000/XP without any additional runtimes like MFC or .NET or whatever else.

There're some more features planned, but I don't have enough time at the moment to implement them. So the tool is kind of unfinished, but it does the job.

Merry Christmas! :xmas:
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

Where does it store its settings? :-P

I played a bit with the path of editor2 and got this strange thing. The path is: D:\Programs\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe

Also, I think it would be better if the headers of the descriptions were visible without having to select each one individually.

I like the idea a lot. I would like to see all these settings in an extra tab in x2's options. :-)
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Huge Thank You, Wasker!
Merry Christmas!
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Demetris, thanks for pointing out the problem, I'll look into it when have a chance. And it stores all settings in registry -- surprise, surprise! :)

ckit, u're welcome! :)

Merry Christmas guys!
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nice one wasker, good christmas pressie! :xmas:
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Very useful. Thank you for the present.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
kf

Post by kf »

Really cool idea!  

Could I just ask for a GUI improvement?  Could you either make the main window bigger or allow the user to resize it?  So many of the options' text is cut off I don't know what the option does!  

Thanks for the work though!

Kevin
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Kev,

Sure. The idea was to make this window resizable, but I'm in a big move to US, so simply have no time at the moment. :) Once I plug my 'puter and have some spare time, it will be done.

New year in NY is something. :xmas:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

setting new file extension

Post by profess »

hi,

when setting new file extensions, they end up as 2 characters (i.e. when setting as txt it ends up as tx).

anyone else replicate this?

thanks for the tool,

Osei
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wasker wrote:New year in NY is something
that's interesting, i happen to be in the area too!? whereabouts are you?
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Not a nice present..... After using this tool, it resetted much of my configuration, probably to your favorites? Like the directory information above the panes.

Also the editor and the viewer stopped working.

And I forgot to make a backup of my registry..... :(

Is this a bug? That it don't read the registry correctly?
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

WimdeLange: I'm sorry to hear about it, but I warned everyone about possible instabilities because of the rush to release. Now I'm waiting while I'll settle down here in US and will look into it.

Nikos: I'm currently in Queens, NY, but will move to NJ in the middle of the month.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Oh, not a big issue. I removed the registry settings and start tweaking it again. As an added bonus the refresh started to work again correctly on xplorer2. So now I'm even pleased that it happened  :)
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I have discussed this with Nikos, and he agreed. But then he took no action on it, so I'd like to discuss in this open forum. And this thread is ideally suited for the issue.

Any links posted by a user can lead to potentially unsafe software. Apart from the stated functions, it can contain spyware or virus. If and when the the user realizes the problem, it would be too late.

The safe way to do this would be to hand over the source code to Nikos, so that he can verify if the software is benign.

This is what snakebyte did (he put out the source code for inspection also, apart from the executable).

A still safer practice would be to let Nikos host the software at his download page, with due acknowledgment to the original author.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

narayan, actually the idea was to send the source code of the whole thing to Nikos after all. :) I'll see if I have the latest one in my backups...