Several xplorer2 suggestions

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Several xplorer2 suggestions

Post by pschroeter »

I have joyfully used xplorer2 for over a month now, and it has made using my PC immeasurably much easier. By liberating me from Microsoft's way of doing things, x2 fills me with the hope that using my computer could be made even easier and I have a few suggestions. If I can already do some of these, the manual is 355 pages long and I may have not worded my search properly. If a suggestion has been already requested, please consider my request a vote.

(1) In Single Pane View: Alt clicking a folder should open dual pane mode with the folder's contents.  Alt clicking the blank area (similar to the parent folder mouse shortcut) in the pane should open dual pane mode with the current open pane contents repeated.

(2) In Double Pane View: Alt clicking the blank area in one of the panes should open the current folder in the opposite pane.

(3) Shift Clicking opens a folder in a tab.

(4) Close tab command in a tab's right-click menu.

(5) Drag to rearrange folder tabs.

(6) Menu: Folders Settings> Save and apply to subfolders too,  Clear and apply to subfolders too

(7) I would love a "Confirm File Replace" dialog that when I moved a file into a folder that contained a file with the same name, would show me where each file was and any other details I needed for comparison, and allowed me to rename one of them in the dialog and then resume the move, rather than forcing me start over. Maybe if I didn't rename either file it would automatically number them in the destination folder based on the date.

(8) Option to have a single click launch items in the mini pane (only) which I use as a bookmarks/application launch bar. Drag to rearrange items in mini pane.

(9) New Option: Remember History Chain on Close

(11) New Option: Set Default Folder on Startup

(12) New Option: Replace Explorer  (a check box in advanced settings)

(13) Create xplorer2 Shortcut
This would be a shortcut that opens a folder in x2 instead of Windows Explorer. It would be easier than creating x2 application shortcuts that open specific folders which is how I do it now. If you don't want to replace Explorer they are needed for places like the Desktop and Start Menu.

(14) Autofilter (button drop down menu): (Show)Folders(only)

(15) When I save a rule based filter I've created, I would like an option to have it get listed in the drop down menu (above the line) of the Autofilter button.

(16) Menu: View>Visual Filter>Folders only (New item)

(17) While the Move/Copy To dialogs do maintain a list of recently used folders, the full paths are shown which means I can't read the ends and actually see the names of the folders they lead to. The folder paths should be truncated to make sure the last folder in the path can be seen. It would also be great if you added access to bookmarks to these dialogs( a little book button that shows a drop down list maybe), and any other dialogs where you may have you use "Browse for folder."

(18) This is probably a matter of taste, but at first it took me a little while to get used to the fact that the Edit menu is not immediately to the right of the File menu, as it is in most other programs. There is still a slight pause to search for it when I use it.

(19) Ability to change the size of  the thumbnails with a slider as well by entering numbers, with a preview.

(20) A little better visual cue that a filter is applied to a view. Maybe a green colored bar with "Visual filter applied" at the top of the pane. I sometimes forget and miss that little green filter icon in the lower right. Clicking the filter indicating icon or colored bar turns filter off.

(21) I've always wanted a command and button that toggles "Show hidden files and folders."

(22) One day down the road you could integrate some x2 features in the common save/open dialogs. At least bookmarks and recent folders and files. There seems to be dozens of programs on the Internet that cost about $20 that add this function.

BTW: Hyperionics (http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp) is now giving away for free FileBox eXtender, their dialog box extender that use to cost $20. It does not work with Vista and is for Windows XP or earlier. It also makes dialogs bigger and does other things as well.

Thank You, I love this program.
Sorry about the length of this posting, I am obviously a interface usability freak.
Paul A.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Dear Kindred soul, "Interface freakiness" is what has made x2 a feature-rich application! So all your suggestions are just right for x2. (Only they will take time to take shape).

Some of them (e.g. 5,7,..) have been suggested in the past; but then it's not a wasted effort, because Nikos treats repeat requests as votes, pushing them a little higher in the "To Do" list. So ALL of them will serve a purpose.

And no, you have not missed anything in the manual. :)

About the filter indication, you would be aware that the pane's background color can change when a filter is active? The manual explains that on p.61.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

these ideas are excellent! i would love to see them implemented.

great thinking
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you already know that many of the features you requested are available but not as you asked them eg instead of <alt+enter> use <ctrl+I> to load a folder in the inactive pane
better visual cue that a filter is applied to a view
see rgbFilterBgcol in registry.txt

other requests noted
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:see rgbFilterBgcol in registry.txt
Huh? You should love your users! :)
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!