Mapped netdrive doesn't show in X²

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mapped netdrive doesn't show in X²

Post by BRX »

I mapped a netdrive (a harddisk on the server) to the drive letter G: on my client. It shows in Explorer and works fine, but doesn't show in X².

I don't know if it's a bug or my setup, but I'd appreciate advice what might causing this and how to fix it.

Thanks!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I saw a (related?) issue: I have mapped three such remote folders (not drives, as in your case). I can click on the tree nodes to jump to these folders, but cannot use the CTRL+SHFT+<drive letter>.

Reporting for Win XP, SP-2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there was a report about a guy who was using subst command to do the mapping. There is a problem with that and vista, other mapping methods should work
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to tell I don't use Vista, still on XP Pro SP 2. And I don't use subst.

It's not only the shortcut that doesn't work but it just doesn't show up in the environment in x² (though in Explorer).

It's definitely not x² since I tested it in other third party filemanagers and there's the same problem. I'd still would like to know what's up with that.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so how do you do the mapping? Can you do any folder mapping at all? (perhaps to another remote location)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

nikos wrote:so how do you do the mapping? Can you do any folder mapping at all? (perhaps to another remote location)
Have to come back to it. It bothers me to switch to Explorer just for copying something from the network. I'm so used to two panes, robust copy and all the other benefits of x2. I don't understand why it doesn't show up in x2.

Yes, I can map other locations fine. The server is mapped for instance. And as I said, the drive shows correctly in Explorer and the "workspace".

If you want to try to dig into this which information do you need?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's probably a windows fault. To confirm, try another file manager and verify it doesn't show the mapping either

btw, you can go to a remote location even without mapping it; just type the same mapping address in x2's addressbar (you can even set a direct bookmark), e.g. \\server\share\folder
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

nikos wrote:it's probably a windows fault. To confirm, try another file manager and verify it doesn't show the mapping either

btw, you can go to a remote location even without mapping it; just type the same mapping address in x2's addressbar (you can even set a direct bookmark), e.g. \\server\share\folder
It's not x2's fault. I already wrote in my second post that other filemanager have the same problem.

But many thanks for your advice with the direct address. That works indeed. That will do nicely. :-)
movmasty

Post by movmasty »

BRX wrote:
nikos wrote:so how do you do the mapping? Can you do any folder mapping at all? (perhaps to another remote location)
Have to come back to it. It bothers me to switch to Explorer just for copying something from the network. I'm so used to two panes, robust copy and all the other benefits of x2. I don't understand why it doesn't show up in x2.

Yes, I can map other locations fine. The server is mapped for instance. And as I said, the drive shows correctly in Explorer and the "workspace".

If you want to try to dig into this which information do you need?
think that my NN drives dont show in windows explorer, but do in X2....

to have my nn drives in winexplorer i have to map them before to open it.  :shock:

Obviously if we had a better windows, we had a better x2.... :twisted:
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

NECRO THREAD ALERT!

I realise that this is a 4 year old thread, but I've just discovered this issue for myself, and don't understand the suggested solution...

xplorer² v2.0
Netdrive 1.3.0.2

My ftp server is mapper to the w: drive and shows in Windows Explorer, but is not visible in xplorer2.

Nor can I access it by typing w: in the address bar or pressing Ctrl+Shift+w

I can't see any other way to access the NetDrive as it doesn't seem to have a direct server name... what am I here missing?

Note: I realise that I could just bookmark the ftp server directly in X2 but I don't like the idea of exposing my username and password in plain text.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what if you restart xplorer2? Press Alt+X to quit fully first
it could also be that this netdrive is only working with windows explorer
or you are running xplorre2 as administrator?
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

Aha!

Well some part of that caused the NetDrive to appear.

Now I simply need to understand why!

Does Alt+X exit xplorer2 in a way which is somehow more complete than hitting the [x] in the top right corner?

I have xplorer2 pinned to my Win7 taskbar and have set this shortcut to run as administrator... Is there any way to confirm whether xplorer2 has been run with Admin rights?

Thanks for the help.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I you choose to setup x2 as a replacement for Windows Explorer (when you installed x2) it stays resident if you click on the top-right X but Alt-X or File/Exit does exit completely. There is a setting in the x2SettingsEditor (Global) that disables this resident behavior.

When x2 is running as admin the Windows/Administrator command is supposed to be disabled/shaded.
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

Fab - thanks for the answers :)