keystroke for putting focus on tree pane?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

larham

keystroke for putting focus on tree pane?

Post by larham »

Is there a keystroke for putting focus on tree pane?

Tab switches between the two 'flat' panes.  If the tree pane is showing, is there a navigation keystoke to go there?

thanks,

larry
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's <ctrl+tab>
in the new version 1.7 (see the new alpha) you will be able to change this to your taste
larham

Post by larham »

Thanks, but this seems to SHOW the tree window, not put focus in it.  Is there a way, like <tab> switches between non-tree windows AND puts focus in the new window, to go to the tree view with focus there?

<alt-tab> nicely mirrors current location in non-tree, but then I must move the mouse way over to click and manipulate the tree. Explorer cycles tab through the panes for me better in this situation.

thanks

larry
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

<ctrl+tab> works for me
unless you have already overwritten this shortcut for another command, in which case use Customize | Keyboard, go to miscellaneous category and enter your preferred hotkey for command "32858"
larham

Post by larham »

Can you clarify, when you say "works for me", do you mean the tree pane shows up, or that it both shows up AND your keyboard focus is transferred to it?

I could possible try to 'screencast' how it doesn't work for me: if my focus is on an item in a flat pane, and I toggle <ctrl-tab>, the tree pane shows and hides, but keyboard focus remains in the flat pane.

thanks,

larry
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

CTRL+Tab for me, only sets the focus to the address bar, then it never leaves.  In other words, once I use that keystroke combination, I cannot get the focus to leave the address bar with any combination of Tab.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

confirmed (win XP, SP-2)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I cannot duplicate the issue.
win - XPsp2,
x2 - 1.6.5.7 [Unicode] (the current released alpha/beta)

With TreePane open ...
Ctrl+Tab puts focus in TreePane then toggles between AddressBar & TreePane with susequent Ctrl+Tab strokes
similarly,
Shift+Tab puts focus in AddressBar then toggles between TreePane & AddressBar with susequent Shift+Tab strokes

If TreePane is closed to begin with, both Ctrl+Tab and Shift+Tab simply toggle between AddressBar and current active folderpane.

I wonder what the difference can be between our setups. :?
larham

Post by larham »

I was talking about version 1.6.5.3 LITE on windows xp with latest xp updates.

larry
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

SHFT+TAb also remains in the Address Bar in my case.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

let's clarify things: if the tree is already visible <ctrl+tab> takes you there, but not if you are in addressbar (there windows autocompletion eats most keys)
larham

Post by larham »

I downloaded 1.6.5.7 [Unicode], and can reproduce the problem there.

At first focus worked, transferring focus--but now it does not transfer focus. I'm not sure what changed this.

hitting <ctrl-tab>, the tree pane will show and hide, but not focus.

FYI, I have one windows-explorer plugin for tortoise-cvs http://www.tortoisecvs.org/ installed.

larry
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

FWIW, I went back and checked out my x2LITE v1.6.5.3 and found same behavior as I described above for my x2PRO v1.6.5.7 [Unicode]
[still puzzled over what the differences may be]
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

(I missed nikos' comment while I checked and posted about my LITE behavior re the issue.)
He is right on: I do NOT use windows-style auto-completion so did not see the issue.  But when I set windows-style auto-completion, then I see the same thing as reported by the others. ...  That just confirms my choice to not use that option. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

autocompletion or not, <ctrl+tab> takes you from a regular view to the tree, let's not get totally crazy! :crazy: