Breadcrumbs don't work with left-handed mouse

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jpcoetzee

Breadcrumbs don't work with left-handed mouse

Post by jpcoetzee »

I use a left-handed mouse i.e. the buttons are swapped.

Both mouse buttons now behave the same, i.e. as the right mouse button. There is no "history list" in the left-mouse button any more.

Breadcrumbs look very useful too..

I'm using version version 1.7.0.2, XP Pro SP2

Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's a bug thanks to m$ buggy documentation!
thanks for letting me know
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can someone with windows 98 tell me if this breadcrumb mouse button swap works or not? In my w98 I can't find an option to swap mouse buttons!
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

Nikos

Seems to work ok for me in w98 by using mouse settings in control panel.
However my backup mouse is made by MS, so this may not be standard on all machines.

Hope this helps  :?
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Nikos: can someone with windows 98 tell me if this breadcrumb mouse button swap works or not?
It is acting weird. I have the standard mouse-driver (no fancy intellimouse or whatever, a mouse with two buttons and one wheel, you can choose right- or lefthanded, not the one that says like "switch main button" or something that way). This is what I have using my win98 X2:
1. The settings-editor doesn't seem to work in win98 (did I miss something? Does it just neglect the non-UC version?)
2. There's nothing wrong if you have NOT turned on the Cascaded breadcrumb function. In that case both buttons on the right- and left-handed mouse work as they should.
3. If you do turn on the cascaded breadcrumb function, and you happened to use left-handed mouse, then clicking the main-button brings you to the folder clicked upon (as it should), but clicking the secondary button flashes up something that might be the start of the breadcrumb directory list, but this disappears instantly, and the pane opens up in the folder clicked upon.
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

Mr.Pleasant
The settings editor does work on w98 (I thought it didn't as well!)
Nickos:The settings editor does work for 98, you just have to give it the /A command line option. If you launch it from the shortcut the installer creates in your Start menu it should do it automatically
I can confirm what you found
Mr.Pleasant: If you do turn on the cascaded breadcrumb function, and you happened to use left-handed mouse, then clicking the main-button brings you to the folder clicked upon (as it should), but clicking the secondary button flashes up something that might be the start of the breadcrumb directory list, but this disappears instantly, and the pane opens up in the folder clicked upon.
spiffy.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

The settings editor does work on w98 (I thought it didn't as well!)
So I did miss something  :oops:
jpcoetzee

Post by jpcoetzee »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:2. There's nothing wrong if you have NOT turned on the Cascaded breadcrumb function. In that case both buttons on the right- and left-handed mouse work as they should.
That's right. It's only cascaded menus that crash the breadcrumbs with the left-handed mouse in XP as well. Non-cascaded menus work fine.

BTW, if I use the setup editor xplorer2 freezes on loading and I have to terminate it. Could this also be due to the left-handed mouse jiggery-pokery? To toggle cascaded menus I have to edit the registry as recommended in REGISTRY.TXT. I edit the key binDualPaneFlags and OR in 0x4000.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

could you have found a bug in the settings editor? Try this:
1. make sure x2 works, and export the settings (Actions | export), call it start.REG
2. open the settings editor, do some trivial change, e.g. the cascade menu
3. does x2 start now? If not, export the registry keys "manually" using regedit (export HKCU\software\zabarakatranemia plc\xplorer2_UC.*). Compare the new contents with start.REG with something like windiff. What changes can you see?
jpcoetzee

Post by jpcoetzee »

nikos wrote:could you have found a bug in the settings editor? 8<snip>8 What changes can you see?
Hmmm... well I found that it doesn't actually freeze, it just takes a long time to fire up first time.

First I deleted the Xplorer2 keys and imported an old settings.reg. Then:

1. Export registry keys with Regedit ("BEFORE")

2. Run Settings Editor and toggle "F2 Rename selects whole name"

3. Run Xplorer2... freezes... 30 second wait... starts OK

4. Close Xplorer2

5. Run Xplorer2, opens immediately

6. Close Xplorer2

7. Export registry keys with Regedit ("AFTER")

Comparing BEFORE and AFTER I can see that there are a few keys added by the Settings Editor. Without going into too much detail as to which key etc:

Added:
bSingleWindow
binMiscOptions (in some keys)
nThumbSpacing
nThumbMini100
bSingleWindow
msFreeSpaceUpdateInterval

Removed:
szNewFileExt
nToolFont100

Changed:
binMiscOptions  (in other keys)

What's more noticeable is that the POSITION of the values within the keys was changed a lot BEFORE and AFTER. The ordering was different.

Not too worried about this as it starts up fine after the first time.

Hope this helps
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Nikos: 3. does x2 start now?
Just tried it on win98, and it works fine; neither do I get any delay in startup like jpcoetzee reported.
I don't know if this is a known issue (getting careful now :wink: ), but when the settingseditor asks to make a backup, and I click OK, then it doesn't make any backup, and also doesn't implement my changes.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you mean it doesn't save changes if you cancel the backup once you've requested it? That's by design
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

That's not what I mean. After I confirm the 'Do you want to backup the exsting registry settings', I don't get the usual 'Save as' dialog, like I have on XP. After confirmation it just quits without change or backup :shock: . After 'no' it proceeds as expected (implementing the changes, no backup).
Is it just me, having this problem on win98?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this could be a win98 issue, i'll have a look. It works for "proper" windows though :)
jpcoetzee

Post by jpcoetzee »

Fixed in 1.7.0.3.

Thanks Nikos!