Wishful thinking...??

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ikkentobi

Wishful thinking...??

Post by ikkentobi »

I just noticed this in x2docs.pdf [UserManual 1.7.0.3-1] page 137

5. File management > Renaming files or folders > Individual renaming

"To attach a suffix string to the name, press the RightArrow key (or the END key). The highlight around the name is removed, but the blinking cursor remains at the end of the name."

Unfortunately this is not true. Actually this is one of the very few annoying things of x2. If a filename is highlighted and the poor user presses the RightArrow key the cursor will jump to the right side of the extension dot so you have to press the LeftArrow key again to attach a suffix string to the name.

It would be very nice if x2 could be updated to match the help file in this case.  :D

thx
Tobias
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

I think this is a bit of a misunderstanding.

The section from the help file text you describe is based on the assumption that you have 'Hide extensions for known file types' enabled (which it is by default). The name column will only show you the base file name without an extension, so this extension will not be affected by the name change.

So the text in the help file is correct with the exception: If your detail view shows extensions in the 'name' column, then the behaviour is slightly different. Then hitting F2 will open a dialog showing the base name selected (up to the last dot in the full file name). In this situation your comment is partly valid. Hitting the end key will put the cursor behind the name (but the full name that is) and hitting right-arrow once will put the cursor behind the last dot.

As I recall it has been suggested before that this behaviour be altered to make it easier to add a suffix to the base file name when the full name is displayed. I don't know if that request is on any of Nikos' lists and if it can be fixed easily.

Tip:
If it is bugging you that much (I do this sort of renaming all the time and gotten used to hitting right-arrow, left-arrow to position the cursor :) ), you could work around this by hiding the extensions (use the Folder setting I mentioned above) and add the stock column Extension [S] to your view, so you can still see the extensions for the files.
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: