Trail of breadcrumbs doesn't lead to My Pictures

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Trail of breadcrumbs doesn't lead to My Pictures

Post by longfellow »

I've observed this, and it's made me curious...

When using the cascading breadcrumbs to navigate to 'My Documents', the 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' folders are not shown unless 'Show Hidden files and folders' is checked.

Ok, 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' are "special" folders, but they're not hidden folders. Shouldn't whatever folders show in x2's pane appear in the breadcrumbs?

Anyway, I'm enjoying using the breadcrumbs; it's a fine addition to x2's feature-set.

(x2 1.7.0.4 on XP Pro SP2)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the logic hides folders that have either H or S(ystem) attributes
wd5fdl

re bread crumbs

Post by wd5fdl »

man the bread crumbs got eaten by the Microsoft birds
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Ok, thanks Nikos, your reply gave me the clue I needed to resolve this.

Like I said, 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' are not hidden files, but you're right, they are system files. This made me remember that TweakUI has a function which repairs various system aspects.

I opened TweakUI, went to the Repair tab, and, indeed, TweakUI has options to repair both the 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' folders. After repairing these folders, 'My Pictures' and 'My Music'  appear in the breadcrumbs (without 'Show hidden files' being on).
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

longfellow wrote:[...]I opened TweakUI, went to the Repair tab, and, indeed, TweakUI has options to repair both the 'My Pictures' and 'My Music' folders. After repairing these folders, 'My Pictures' and 'My Music'  appear in the breadcrumbs (without 'Show hidden files' being on).
Just curious: TweakUI simply got rid of the system attribute on these folders I presume? If not, can you determine what it did do?
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

No, as far as I can tell, TweakUI hasn't changed the system attribute.

TweakUI implements all its tweaks through the registry, so I'm assuming that when it repaired 'My Pictures' and 'My Music', it simply restored the keys to these folders back to their default state.

It would seem that (on my system) these keys had become corrupted, preventing the breadcrumbs from seeing 'My Pictures' and 'My Music'; once they were restored to their default state, the breadcrumbs could see the folders again.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

OK. Thanks.
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: