here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/05Aug07.htm
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

1.  Glad you're back home safely. :D

2. Visual filters = powerful stuff.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:
So powerful that, re: your note at blog's end "If you're scratching your head where your files went, first check for a green filter icon on the statusbar!" I have to say I find it to be an insufficient warning for some, if not most users, myself included.

As I have mentioned in responses to folks questions/comments on how better to indicate when a filter is active (i.e.: some items are hidden), I use and recommend a more emphatic reminder: set the Filtered panel background color to something distinctive.  I set an amber shade like a traffic caution light.  That little green funnel is just to easy to miss; but having a distinctive background color is an indicator that cannot be ignored.   8)
Last edited by fgagnon on 2007 Aug 05, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

I think a nice addition would be the ability to turn a filter off by clicking in some way on the green funnel.

Sometimes I don't have my hands on the keyboard, and it takes a lot of clicking to turn a filter off with the mouse.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You could use menuhack to create a tool bar button for the filter toggle command but I do like the idea of clicking the icon on the status bar. Or nikos could implement a toggle filter button similar to the sticky button.

I have been using fgagnon's tip on changing the background when a filter is active for a while now. I have actually started using the filter features more since I implemented this. The changed background just makes it obvious that a filter is active. Good tip.
RTC

Post by RTC »

fgagnon wrote:1.

As I have mentioned in responses to folks questions/comments on how better to indicate when a filter is active (i.e.: some items are hidden), I use and recommend a more emphatic reminder: set the Filtered panel background color to something distinctive.  I set an amber shade like a traffic caution light.  That little green funnel is just to easy to miss; but having a distinctive background color is an indicator that cannot be ignored.   8)
fgagnon and/or FrizzleFry

could you elaborate a little more on how-to set the Filtered panel color to something distinctive?
I'm just an enthusiastic amateur.... :oops:

appreciate your help...:lol:

*** RTC ***
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Important: Whichever method you use, make sure to close all instances of xplorer2 before you make the settings.

1. Assuming you'd rather not use regedit to set rgbFilterBgcol to something like: 90f0fa (hex) ...

2. Run x2SettingsEditor.exe (located in your xplorer2 installation folder)
On the Layout settings tab, scroll down to Filtered panel background.
On the right side of the color swatch, click on the little ... to bring up the color setting panel and pick your color.  

OK your way out, and restart xplorer2.  

HTH
RTC

Post by RTC »

fgagnon,

cheeez...it's that easy....how could I miss that option in x2settingsEditor.exe
And I'm not even blond....:wink:

Thanks again for your quick response and help....:lol:

*** RTC ***
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

It's always easier to find things when you know what you are looking for :)