Chnage Ctrl+Alt+Right to Ctrl+Tab, how to?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tslim

Chnage Ctrl+Alt+Right to Ctrl+Tab, how to?

Post by tslim »

I want to use Ctrl+Tab to switch to next tab, but the customize->keyboard does not allow setting of key combination which involve [TAB]. Ah ah ! press tab and you are moving the focus...

So, how do I change keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Tab instead of Ctrl+Alt+Right? (or could it be done?)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

not without some manual hacking of the saved accelerator table :(
tab, space, enter and some other keys are blocked out since some m$ guy thought people shouldn't be using these keys for commands
tslim

Post by tslim »

I know you can do it.

I have several application allow setting keyboard shortcut involve TAB. e.g. True Lanuch bar, Macro Express, ... and Total Commander :(
MA

Post by MA »

Is there a solution / hack available for this, please?

Every other app (Notepad++, Firefox, Winmerge, etc. etc.) has no problem with ALT+TAB, so why just x2?

TIA.
MA

Post by MA »

No one?  Different question then:

How do I 'manually hack the accelerator table'?  There's no mention of this in the PDF help file and forum search has not explained it to me.

I've fired up Resource Hacker, but not sure where to begin. :?

P.S.  Wouldn't it be great if there were a community-edited wiki so that this sort of information could be added easily?  While searching the forum I see Resource Hacker comes up several times but never detailed explanations....
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

these kind of hacks are not for everyone. Unless you know what an accelerator table is, there's no way you could hack it, and you need to be a programmer to know your HACCELs

in a coming version i will try to correct these glitches so you can enjoy full flexibility in keyboard assignments
MA

Post by MA »

OK, thanks.

I'll have a go at hacking - see how quickly I can break it. ;)
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Instead of hacking the accelerator table, you might consider installing a scripting tool such as Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) to manage keyboard shortcuts for you.

As an example, here's a script that changes the default tab behavior to CTRL+Tab:

Code: Select all

$^Tab::
    IfWinActive, ahk_class ATL:ExplorerFrame
    {
        Send, ^!{Right}
        return
    }
    Send, ^{Tab}
    return
MA

Post by MA »

Thanks, I'll have a play with that.