Just to be sure: x2 can't sync *folders* ?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

negg

Just to be sure: x2 can't sync *folders* ?

Post by negg »

Hi! x2 is one of the tools I can't live without anymore, so I just want to make sure I understood everything right before looking to another tool to do what I need to do. I want to deep-sync two folders on different drives, see what's going to happen before I do it *and* use robust copy. Searching this forum and reading the manual it seems that this can't be done if there is one or more new folders in the structure:

Code: Select all

Drive #1 has this folder/file structure:
[a]
+ [aa]
  aa1.txt
  aa2.txt
+ [ab]
  ab1.txt
  ab2.txt

Drive #2 has folder [ab] missing:

[a]
+ [aa]
  aa1.txt
  aa2.txt
1. Sync-o-paste does not work, because the folder [ab] does not exist on drive #2, so it is marked as undetermined when I do a "Compare Subfolders", and sync-o-paste does not work with undetermined items.

2. Robust copy with "overwrite if newer" is not what I want, because I want to make sure nothing is overwritten by mistake. I could compare first and if everything is ok I could use "robust copy" after the check, but if some files should not be copied for some reason, this again is not a solution.

3. Using "Compare Subfolders" with "select undetermined" checked and then use "copy" and "paste structured scrap clips" to bring the new files *and* their folder into drive #2 is not what I want, because it doesn't use robust copy, and if something goes wrong I have to start all over again.

4. Then I thought I'd do it the hard way: first select all folders in Drive #1, copy, paste folder structure to drive #2, and then do the sync-o-paste. But surprise: this doesn't work also, because s-o-p only works if there is at least one file in each folder on drive #1 and drive #2 !

So many ways, but none to do it right...so just let me know: is this (still) impossible, or is there something I missed or a good workaround?

Everything would be so easy if sync-o-paste could only create the missing folders before copying the files, and if it would not care if there are any files in the folders. I guess there is a good reason why this is not done, but its a pity.

It also took me a long time what "undetermined" means, because for my understanding the status of a file existing in one drive an not in the other is not "undetermined" but "new", independent of the fact that it happens to also sit in a new folder...

Please help! There MUST be a better solution (than 2., which is my current favorite ;-)

Martin
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you seem to have a phd in deep sync with x2 so i can't help you much :)
i've lost faith in deep sync for some time, since it is a headache at best. I do your option #2 ie i leave it to robust copy to synchronize without checking what goes where. For backups that's always ok
negg

Post by negg »

nikos wrote:you seem to have a phd in deep sync with x2 so i can't help you much :)
Hehe, yeah in fact I invented deep syncing ;-)
nikos wrote:i've lost faith in deep sync for some time, since it is a headache at best. I do your option #2 ie i leave it to robust copy to synchronize without checking what goes where. For backups that's always ok
Well, not quite what I wanted to hear, but what I expected. But I use this in so many places that I can't imagine I'm the only one who needs that feature:
- backing up my private family harddrive
- making office files available offline (where window's offline feature is too slow)
- backing up our office project servers

Especially with the latter its a pain with tools that do not use something like robust copying, because more often than not someone has a file locked on the server that I can't copy then...

So please take this as a wish for some future release or whenever your time permits: teach sync-o-paste to create folders.

Or another idea: as robust copying with overwrite if newer works so good why not implement a "simulation" mode that writes a log what would happen? Maybe that's easier to implement?

Thanks anyway for answering!
Martin
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

So please take this as a wish for some future release
Please add a vote from this deep-sync'er too.
I'd love the sync-o-paste, if it would only just work a bit better...
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

For your advance folder sync needs you should give MS SyncToy a try. Its free!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

To use it you basically have to specify a left and right folder and use any of the following profiles.

Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.

Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.

Subscribe: Updated files on the right are copied to the left if the file name already exists on the left.

Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.

Combine: New and updated files are copied both ways. Nothing happens to renamed and deleted files.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

And if you hate Microsoft like I do, you can try Karen's Replicator -> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

ckit wrote:And if you hate Microsoft like I do, you can try Karen's Replicator -> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Not that I'm taking any side, but from the looks of replicator it looks more of a backup tool than a file synchronizer. Can it do two way file merges? Can it work as a service when machine is locked?

Try out SyncToy its pretty good. The sync profiles it has is a  very well though of concept and is implemented in a simple interface. Don't dismiss it just because it is from MS. After all I'm guessing you are not running x2 on Linux using WINE ;-)
Last edited by snakebyte on 2007 Oct 05, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

snakebyte wrote:
ckit wrote:And if you hate Microsoft like I do, you can try Karen's Replicator -> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Not that I'm taking any sides, but from the looks of replicator it looks more of a backup tool than a file synchronizer. Can it do two way file merges? Can it work as a service when machine is locked?

Try out SyncToy its pretty good. The sync profiles it has is a  very well though of concept and is implemented in a simple interface. Don't dismiss it just because it is from MS. After all I'm guessing you are not running x2 on Linux using WINE ;-)
Yes, you're right I should give SyncToy another chance.
After all it's not big enough to contain the WGA virus :)
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Nope, I'm more comfortable with Karen's Replicator, handles multiple wildcards instead of just the 1...

Just wish it would do multiple destination folders, I'll email her later :)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I just came across this nice little tool:

DSynchronize v2.30.1

http://dimio.altervista.org/stats/download.php?id=3

Free, small, standalone and looks promising.  Maybe you like to try it. The other tools of the author seem worth a look, too.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Allright! Thank you all for the great tips. I guess there's a lot of good tools that could do the job. It's just that... I would like to have it in my favourite file manager. The situation is that I'm usually already working in the folders that need synchronising, i.e. they are in X2's panes. A quick way of synchronising is a great help (i'm using (ctrl+)F9, and mirror-browsing a lot. In fact, this was the main motive for me to start working with 2xExplorer).
Deep-synchronising is within reach, as X2 has flat-browsing. The nice thing about this flat-browsing would be that you can apply some 'micro-management' by selecting/deselecting files that I would like to fall outside the general synchronisation scenario. For a little explanation: I'm working in translation/localisation, and I often have parallel data/folder-structures, each for every language, in which some files need to be synced in all languages, and others are one-language only. This is different every time, so I'm not too keen on inventing the proper synchronisation-filters just for a quick sync-job.
That's why I said, sync-o-paste is great, but if even Nikos get headaches... :roll:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

flat browsing is still "browsing" whereas synchronization the way you want it would require special GUI elements (arrows and things and buttons) that may as well be in a different program