defining a filter in robust copy dialog

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

negg

defining a filter in robust copy dialog

Post by negg »

Hi! I've got another one: I just wanted to copy only files that have their archive bit set (funny enough I had to specify "a" and "A" as find conditions to find all files, but that might have to do with that external ethernet hard drive) and noticed a small usability glitch:

When you select a predefined Filter in the robust copy dialog, then want to check the settings of that filter, and hit escape, the selection in the "Filter" dropdown box of the robust copy dialog is empty again.

I did not expect this, so I copied all files by mistake.

What do you think: does hitting "Cancel" in the define dialog mean "clear my previous setting in the main dialog"? For me cancel means nothing is going to change...

And when don't do anything in the define dialog (or you select a preset there) and hit "OK", the dropdown changes to "last used", which makes me feel unsure: is now the last used dropdown value active, or the settings I used when I last started a robust copy process? Here I'd say the value of the dropdown box should show the preset I chose. What do you think?

Martin
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Once you launch a command, there are three possibilities:

1. Run the command with new entries
2. Cancel everything halfway (abort); and abandon the new entries.
3. Save new entries and exit without running the command.

x2 treats ESC as #2; leaving the earlier entries intact.
In fact, that could be what the user wants!

Of course, some software provide separate controls to do 2 and 3.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the filter box is a bit moody and i'll see how to improve it for the next version. The idea is that once you open the Define box you'll use some custom filter, so the combo box should read "last used or custom"