Xplorer² in WindowsSecrets

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rnfolsom

Xplorer² in WindowsSecrets

Post by rnfolsom »

Xplorer² got a rave (very favorable) review in the 20 September 2007 Windows Secrets Newsletter (edited by Brian Livingston, Fred Langa, and Scott Dunn).

The review, "Improve on Windows Explorer with Xplorer²," is in the Woody's Windows column, by contributing editor Woody Leonhard.

Go to http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/20
and scroll down to the review's title.

The opening "teaser" paragraph is:
"In response to my Aug. 9 column, many readers wrote with suggestions about making Windows work the way it did before it got all weirdified. Several of you recommended a simple, free, powerful, fast Windows Explorer replacement that solves many of your (and my) funky gunky problems. Meet Xplorer². Read more »"

Unfortunately, to read the rest of the review you have to be a paid subscriber, and it is copyrighted so I can't just paste it in here.  But I thought I ought to note the link here, anyway.

This favorable review has no criticisms whatsoever.  That's very unusual.

Relying on the "fair use" doctrine (U.S. copyright law), I'll quote one sentence from the paid portion of the review:

"If you'd like to consider all the [file manager] alternatives, you could start with the Wikipedia entry [at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... e_managers ] comparing 18 different file managers.  I've looked at many of them, and I like Xplorer² the best."

The Windows Secrets newsletter has more than 275,000 subscribers, but I don't know how many of them get the paid version (including extra content such as this Xplorer² review), and how many get only the free version.

Woody Leonhard has two Windows Vista books out (about which I know nothing;  I use Windows 2000), and he and Barry Simon wrote The Mother of All Windows 98 Books, which I found very useful and also often very funny (including its criticisms of Windows and of Microsoft).

Livingston is the author of a number of Windows Secrets books (at least one for most Windows versions, other than XP).  I've admired him ever since his Windows 95 book, which was incredibly useful to me as I transitioned from MS-Dos (I never used the earlier Windows versions).

Roger Folsom
TracyB

Post by TracyB »

Why would anyone on the X2 board (or anyone else for that matter) pay to read this wanker's review on X2?
rnfolsom

Post by rnfolsom »

TracyB:

> Why would anyone on the X2 board (or anyone else for that matter) pay to read this wanker's review on X2? <

I have no idea.  But since my post included the review's summary sentence, it didn't occur to me that anyone would think it necessary to read the full review.  But on the other hand, if someone wanted to read it, I thought I ought to say where it came from.  When I quote anyone about anything, I think I am obligated to give the source.

And as an extension of that obligation, I included information about the newsletter itself.

Sorry, but I don't know what a "wanker" is, so I can't respond to that.

Personally, I don't remember how I learned about Xplorer², but it probably was from some mention of it in a newsletter, or in a CompuServe post, or some other "accidental" way.  Since I find Xplorer² very useful, and I think others who never have heard of it also would find it useful, I was very happy to see that a widely circulated newsletter had reviewed it, and I thought other Xplorer² users might be happy about that also.  So I posted my message.

If my post offended you (or anyone else), please accept my sincere apologies.

Roger Folsom
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

my personal view is that this windowsecret guy (whom i never heard) is a really good bloke, gave xplorer2 loads of publicity :)
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Woody is a good guy

Post by RickyF »

Woody is a good guy. He runs a very useful free blog at http://www.askwoody.com/.

He has been around the Windows scene for many years and knows his stuff. If he likes X2, without reservation, that is high praise indeed.

Also, I seem to remember that about half of the Windows Secrets distribution is the paid version.
jpcoetzee

Post by jpcoetzee »

WindowsSecrets is a very informative newsletter, I pay a couple of UK pounds for a year's subscritpion which is well worth it.

BTW, Wikipedia has a very informative entry on 'wanker'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker

...which means that most of us are "wankers".

--
JP Coetzee, Powerwave UK
JDlugosz

Post by JDlugosz »

TracyB wrote:Why would anyone on the X2 board (or anyone else for that matter) pay to read this wanker's review on X2?
Why are you calling the reviewer contemptible or self-obsessed, knowing only that he wrote a favorable review of X2?  But, using a word that is known to be found offensive speaks more about you than about Mr. Leonhard.