reading folder contents

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Canrith

reading folder contents

Post by Canrith »

In the  past few days, whenever I start up xplorer2, it takes about 15 seconds to go from "reading folder contents" to actually displaying them. It used to take 1 or 2 seconds at most. Nothing in my file directory has changed significantly. Can anyone give me a trouble-shooting direction? Thanks
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It may be associated with the parameter you have set for sorting the files, especially if it is a "non-stock" parameter.
Also, having Infotips for items turned ON is often a drag, and having the tree pane open can slow things down in some cases, too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

or you are reading a network folder, with or without the tree autosynchronizing, could be many things
Canrith

Post by Canrith »

fgagnon wrote:It may be associated with the parameter you have set for sorting the files, especially if it is a "non-stock" parameter.
Also, having Infotips for items turned ON is often a drag, and having the tree pane open can slow things down in some cases, too.
Thanks for the right direction. I had the open screen on one of the panes sorting on Dimensions. After resetting to sort by filename, it cleared right up!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :P

Michael
JamieG

Delay reading folder contents (2nd problem)

Post by JamieG »

I had a similar problem which had me tearing my hair out for the last two days until a solution appeared a few minutes ago while I was adding the last details to a cry for help here in the forum.

I've been using 1.4.0.1 for quite awhile and I almost always use "List" view in the folder windows. My "Detail" view has a few columns which involve looking inside files (picture dimensions for jpg files, for example), but I use it rarely.

About two weeks ago, opening folders with hundreds of files suddenly started taking seconds to complete even though I was in List view, with "Reading folder contents" displayed on the status line.

Using 1.4.0.1, I went into each tab of each pane, removed all columns but the basic ones, and reestablished the List view.  The delays didn't go away and so I started looking elsewhere.  I've been busy since then running tests, checking system logs, rechecking X2 options with bleary eyes, running and disabling virus checkers, removing guest accounts for my parents, wondering if I should uninstall recently-added Open Office, and finally upgrading to the lastest X2 version as a last resort.  All to no avail, alas.

Just as I was adding Christmas greetings to my post, I noticed that opening the same folder from different tabs didn't produce the same delay! :shock:  So it did have something to do with my X2 configuration!

Now using 1.7.0.5, I enabled the Detail view on one of the tabs where the delay occurred, added back the columns I'd deleted yesterday, reestablished List view and... magic!  Folders in that tab now opened right away as they always had.

So I must have done something about two weeks ago which caused 1.4.0.1 to keep fetching Detail view information even though the current List display didn't need it.  I've tried but can't reproduce the "stickiness" with the latest version.  So I guess this was simply a lesson for me (shared with you) that it's a good idea to keep your X2 up to date!  :oops:  :roll:  :o

By the way, the 1.7.0.5 version is vastly faster than 1.4.0.1 in collecting the information for detail views.  What took 10 seconds in the older version only takes 2 or 3 seconds in the current one!  That's optimization!  Way to go Nikos! :beer:

So my best wishes for a Merry Christmas to one and all, and reaffirmation that X2 is still the best program in the known universe!  Jamie :xmas:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yup, it's time to be jolly and merry :xmas:
i've got a little christmas gift to announce, probably a week later
no blog this sunday!