Secondary Streams error prevents Cut operation

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Thanks for the info, narayan. I had never even looked at the options screen in the copy/move dialog.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

The information that it strips from exe files during copy does affect the programs in a detrimental way, I tested it with Xplorer itself by uninstalling a working version and reinstalling with a "copied" (from a backup) version of Xplorer2, once installed it comes up with a bastardized initial "continue or purchase dialog" which appears when the program starts, and then the after opening it stays open for a short while and shuts down. I uninstalled this installation, downloaded a fresh version from your site, installed and it worked fine.

summary of error:
[Secondary streams (e.g. file comments) couldn't be transferred to target

Many thanks for your quick response, and a fix to "Log error and continue copying" option would be welcome, as thats the feature that I like when leaving my pc unattended during big backups and I'm gardening :-)
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

wasker wrote:Nikos, I think it should be possible to get rid of this "secondary stream" error with some registry setting. The thing is that in 99.9% of cases the origin of secondary stream is security info recorded by IE, not my actions. Thus, I'd better have an option to shut this error up, or, which is better, but unclear whether is ease-to-do, don't alarm user if the secondary stream was made by IE.
ckit wrote:I had problems with this too, we need an option to turn it off or some kind of workaround.
nikos wrote:x2 is doing the right thing, since there was some sort of error transferring the file, it changes from move to copy, so you can salvage the alternate streams. If you don't want them, just delete the source files
nikos, the way this is now for robust moves seems inconsistent to me. I think x2 should ask beforehand:

Secondary streams will not [now it just says "couldn't"] be transferred to target. Ignore this problem?

And then, if you answer Yes, go on and complete the robust move as if there were no streams (instead of doing a robust copy, as it does now).

by the way, I'm getting this a lot with files downloaded with Firefox 3, which has introduced this feature recently. I cannot find a way to turn the feature off in Firefox (and Alt+Z in x2 does not show any "comments" in the files).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you check the blog on www.zabkat.com/blog/04Mar07.htm, the stream name for internet downloads is "Zone.Identifier" not comments (assuming that Firefox behaves like IE)

i feel that x2 behaves correctly not deleting (moving) files that were incorrectly transferred. Safe is always the best policy. You can just delete the sources if you like
Demetris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Demetris »

Thanks!

You are right. There is a Zone.Identifier stream. :-) (So Firefox uses the same method as IE).

I agree that, on principle, safe is the best policy; in practice, however  (judging at least by this thread), this is mainly an inconvenience and people do not seem to want it.

~~~~~~

Also, for what is worth, I personally don't care about alternate data streams because I tend to avoid as much as possible features that depend on particular file systems or are exclusive to particular file systems, and so are not to be relied upon when files are moved between different file systems (fat16, fat32, ntfs, iso9660, udf, ext3, hfs+, just off the top of my head -- file systems with a non-negligible presence are too many today) or over networks.

I think this is the main reason why features like ADS cannot catch up for such uses, while, on the other hand, metadata containers that live within the files and so follow the files everywhere (e.g. ID3 tags, or Exif tags) are so popular.
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Secondary Streams error prevents Cut operation

Post by ZoNi »

How can I disable this info, error, whatever?

I don't want to see this EVER :) I hate when I start to copy/move (F5/F6) something from HDD to USB, go somewhere, and when I'm back, I see this info-box, and my files waiting to be copied/moved.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global (Tab) -> Disable stream loss warning when copying to FAT32

One assumes it works for "moving" objects as well... but you never know - Nikos can be stubbornly literal at times. :D
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Thank you :)

BTW, I think this happens even sometimes when copying to ext.HDD (which is NTFS). I have to check, I am not sure about that.