Secondary Streams error prevents Cut operation

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

matt2971

Secondary Streams error prevents Cut operation

Post by matt2971 »

Hi,

When I try to cut files from one drive to another using robust copy, I sometimes get the "Secondary streams couldn't be transfered" warning.

I'd like to be able to disable this, but understand from a forum search that you cannot do this without a global disable on all errors. This is an annoyance, but not too bad, because I should be able to just click "Yes to all" and away I go... except, instead of doing the Cut operation that I requested, after I clear the warning, all that happens is a Copy.

Can anyone confirm this problem and/or suggest a solution?

Cheers!

Matt
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is that with F6?
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Nikos, I think it should be possible to get rid of this "secondary stream" error with some registry setting. The thing is that in 99.9% of cases the origin of secondary stream is security info recorded by IE, not my actions. Thus, I'd better have an option to shut this error up, or, which is better, but unclear whether is ease-to-do, don't alarm user if the secondary stream was made by IE.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I had problems with this too, we need an option to turn it off or some kind of workaround.
matt2971

Post by matt2971 »

Hi Nikos,

No, this is using a standard right-click in x2 for both the Cut command and the Paste command.

Wasker; this is the case here too - I didn't ask for secondary data to be created myself, so am not interested in it's contents.

I should mention that I'm using 1.7.0.5. I also think I turned on a feature to make x2 always use the robust copy, but am unable to find it in the options, so perhaps this was a few versions back? Not sure on this one though....

Matt
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 is doing the right thing, since there was some sort of error transferring the file, it changes from move to copy, so you can salvage the alternate streams. If you don't want them, just delete the source files
matt2971

Post by matt2971 »

When you view it like that, yes, i see the logic. I guess I'll just add my name to the list of those requesting the ability to disable this warning on an individual basis, since when moving a lot of files around it creates extra steps in the process.

I'm still unsure what the data in question actually is - for media files like MP3, would the tag metadata be classed as "secondary stream"? Does anyone know of a good utility to just wipe such data from files in bulk?
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

matt2971 wrote:I'm still unsure what the data in question actually is - for media files like MP3, would the tag metadata be classed as "secondary stream"?
This is not the case. ID3 tags are in the file, while alternate streams are NTFS feature.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
matt2971

Post by matt2971 »

Thanks, with that information I can answer my own question too... there are free utilities to do this, for instance:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/M ... 49327.html

Matt
matt2971

Post by matt2971 »

OK, I got to to the bottom of why quite a few files are causing this problem for me (whereas virtually none did before) and thought I'd share in case anyone has similar problems.

It's nothing to do with the Summary field in the file props, but everything to do with this little Microsoft lovely:

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... a87800.png

The information held is that of the Internet Explorer internet zone from which the file was downloaded, and although I don't use IE, I do use Shareaza, and it must use some IE functionality, as files downloaded through it are getting this.

The message in x2 occurs because I'm moving my downloaded files from an NTFS partition I use exclusively for incoming data, to a FAT32 partition I use exclusively for viewing. The FAT32 partition can't retain the info, so x2 gives the warning.

The solution is either to click the Unblock button pictured above each time, or turn off the gathering of zone information:

run gpedit.msc

Goto: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager

Enable: Do not preserve zone information in file attachments

(Will only take effect on new files.)

Matt
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I too get this same error when copying .exe files  from one hard drive to another.

edit:
with, continue copy and log error, (enabled), it pauses and asks for confirmation, is this correct ?

It is really annoying to have a big backup pause on the first file because of a error.
Thing is, I thought that the option, continue with errors, would continue to copy the next file in the queue even if the preceeding copy generated a error, as it is X2's copy functions are no improvement on Win explorers when errors occur.
Last edited by dunno on 2007 Nov 18, 05:14, edited 3 times in total.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Enabling the Silent option does copy/queue the files without confirmation, but it generates a error report with a problem file, is this the intended function ?.

error message is:
[Secondary streams (e.g. file comments) couldn't be transferred to target

(Edited above due to insufficient trouble shooting.)
Last edited by dunno on 2007 Nov 18, 05:33, edited 4 times in total.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

There is a "keep this window open at the end of transfer" checkbox in the robust transfer window that allows you to see the error log when the copy operation is complete.

I would be nice if this checkbox remembered its state so that if you enable it it would stay enabled until you disable it. As it is you have to enable it on every copy/move operation.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

As the UM explains, this is already possible: Just select the same option in "robust transfer options" window. All the subsequent transfer jobs will keep the window open after the job is over.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

with, continue copy and log error, (enabled), it pauses and asks for confirmation, is this correct?
Enabling the Silent option does copy/queue the files without confirmation, but it generates a error report with a problem file, is this the intended function ?
the answer is #2: no errors during transfer but an offer to show errors after the whole batch is finished. If there are other jobs queued, this will interrupt them. This isn't ideal, and i'm trying to think of a solution (e.g. write a file with intermediate error logs)