Virtual folders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Telemacus

Virtual folders

Post by Telemacus »

Hi there!

I'm a new user. I've been using the lite version for a short while and then I decided to try out the pro version.
This thing about virtual folders... it's kinda confusing, ain't it?
Why not simplify it like this:

F8 creates a new folder, doesn't it? well, let's have Shift+F8 (or whatever) to create a virtual folder with whatever name we name.
The icon that we get is blue (or whatever) instead of the standard yellow one, so that we know it's a virtual folder at all times (i.e. files don't live there REALLY, although it looks as if they did).
And everything else operates the same way.
I think the scrapbook concept is rather confusing.

Ok, and another request: ability to tag files using icons on the colums. I'd love to be able to give priorities to files that I have to work on. I've got something like 1000 files that I need to work on, and it gets rather hectic and being able to stablish priorities in a visual way would make it really much easier for me to identify the work that I gotta do. I kow that at present I can tag files with text or even colors. But text is not exactly what I need and the problem with giving colors to files is that you can only do so to files of the same type, but can't have different colors for, say, 200 .txt files. They must all be the same color.

I'm finding the program really cool though.  ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's why they are called "scraps" and not virtual folders. They are not folders, they are like a text file you put URLs in it, for convenient access to disparate locations in the internet

as for prioritizing your work on 1000s of files, i guess you envisage something like outlook's color marking of emails to follow up. That's driving the file management idea a bit too far. I can recommend opening a number of scrap windows, and put your urgent tasks in one and less urgent stuff in another
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

No, I don't think that's driving the file management idea too far at all. In fact, I think that's a pretty basic function for any type of management, may it be files or emails. File management is something more complex than copying and pasting, deleting here and there :) (btw, most email programs do it, Eudora, the bat, outlook, etc.)
Your idea of file management has expanded over the years, as the evolution of your program shows, don't put limits to it...

Having said that, I understand that at present this might not be a feature which too many other users might have a use for.

I was only suggesting the virtual folders as an added feature because users would just open xplorer and all the virtual folders would be there, easy to identify at a glance because of their different folder color, accessable instantly at a click...
But I too understand that this was probably a ridiculous feature suggestion. My apologies. :)
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

I'd say, that if you save the contents of a scrap container to a cida file, you already have your virtual folder. You can doubleclick the cida folder to get into this folder. The only difference is that it doesn't open in the regular X2 window, and that it can't be seen inside the tree view. This, of course has differences for navigation (out of the 'virtual' folder), and the fact that it doesn't have its own path like a normal folder.
But for the rest, I think, it's functionality is the same as your virtual folder. It even has a blue icon!  :wink:
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

I agree that both concepts are very similar, the main differences being:

1-When you get a list of files inside your pane, scrapbooks are not considered folders, so if you click on the "name column", the scrapbook item does not appear at the top with the rest of the folders, it is considered just another file (which is a bit odd because no files contain subfiles!), all scrapbooks will not appear together on that list, they'll be arranged purely by name, so working with it is not as easy when you have lots of scrapbooks. Sure, you can arrange files by "file type" (i.e. suffix), so you can see all scrap books together, but they will not be next to the folders in the list, you'll have to scroll down the list of files in that particular structure if you want to do operations between another folder and a scrapbook.
2-Creating a scrapbook is a process that takes several steps. Ok, we're talking about 5-10 seconds, which is not very much, but a virtual folder would be quicker and easier.
3-When opening a scrapbook with several hundred files, it can take up to several seconds to load compared to a normal folder.
4-Showing the contents of a virtual folder inside the pane rather than another window must surely be considered an advantage? I definitely regard it as an advantage.

And then, just think of this: give me one sole reason, just one, why a scrapbook is better than a virtual folder.  I'm not saying there isn't, just can't see it yet.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yes, CIDA files do not behave as folders.

First of all, it has an extension like a file.
it is considered just another file (which is a bit odd because no files contain subfiles!),
Well, the CIDA file does not actually contain those files. So it is a file containing the list of links to those files.

2. Creating the CIDA file is a single-step book once you have collected the material in a scrap pane. Just press CTRL+S (Save). In case of real folders also, collection of material takes the real hard work.

4. CIDA file can be opened in a scrap pane, where it shows its contents like a folder. From this point onwards, it behaves just like a folder (till when you close it, where x2 again treats it like a file and asks you whether to save it.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for color tagging you can drop files into outlook and then mark them as you do for emails. That won't be space efficient since outlook will copy the files you drop in its storage

if you have many cida files in a scrap, the easiest way to open them in the same window is to make it dual-pane <ctrl+O> and then use <alt+enter> on each cida, that will simulate "browsing" on the inactive pane
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

I didn't mean to create confusion, Telemacus. You (and Narayan) are right: a cida file IS not virtual folder (looking back at my earlier post, I see I wasn't clear about this), but, instead, only a real file.
But it can replace some of its features, as some kind of a virtual 'storing place' (well, not exactly a storing place as Narayan pointed out, but therefore it's 'virtual'), that is more lasting than a scrap container, which is gone whenever you close the scrap.
I more or less use it that way.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

narayan wrote:Yes, CIDA files do not behave as folders.
First of all, it has an extension like a file. a file containing the list of links to those files.
Yes, of course, but what I meant is the X2 treats it like a file when it comes to listing the contents of a drive or directory.
2. Creating the CIDA file is a single-step book once you have collected the material in a scrap pane. Just press CTRL+S (Save). In case of real folders also, collection of material takes the real hard work.
Agreed. (I use the save icon).
But there is another inconvenience with cida files: unlike folders, if you make any changes to the contents of a cida file, it will ask you if you want to save it. Imagine if that happened with a folder. (maybe this can be switched off though).
4. CIDA file can be opened in a scrap pane, where it shows its contents like a folder. From this point onwards, it behaves just like a folder (till when you close it, where x2 again treats it like a file and asks you whether to save it.)
Indeed. However, opening the contents of a folder in a new window is so "microsoftish", isn´t it?  :)
nikos wrote:for color tagging you can drop files into outlook and then mark them as you do for emails. That won't be space efficient since outlook will copy the files you drop in its storage
Yes, or I could use a third external program...
but I've never used outlook in my whole life, I've always uninstalled every single version of it after the first 10 minutes of use because I couldn't stand it. I'd rather a "file manager" did that for me. ;)
if you have many cida files in a scrap, the easiest way to open them in the same window is to make it dual-pane <ctrl+O> and then use <alt+enter> on each cida, that will simulate "browsing" on the inactive pane
But that still requires that I have 2 windows open, the x2 window and the Cida files window. (i.e. like MS Windows XP) which is not a tidy way to work, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm not putting X2 down in any way, only trying to make it even better. :wink:
I was just trying to offer my view as to why virtual folders might be an improvement over scrapbooks, but I also understand that what seems to us like "a little change" means dozens of hours (or even more!) of coding for the programmer.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ ... make it even better ...  offer my view ...

Yes, (waxing metaphoric) we who have followed every step of development often cannot see the forest for the trees we have watered and watched grow from seedlings. ;)
And (continuing the metaphor) we often have a habit of trying to explain each tree instead of hearing comments about the overall situation.  

So, thank you especially for your fresh point of view, Telemacus, O faraway fighter. :thumbup:

PS - apologies for the metaphor & mythological reference -- it must be the wine while I await my son & fiancee's arrival for dinner.
jw

Post by jw »

And thank you, fgagnon, for your unfailing courtesy and for providing the readers of this forum with replies which are a pleasure to read for their elegant English and depth of knowledge.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

:oops:

but welcome to the board, anyway, jw. ;)

Please contribute with your comments/questions/doubts /etc.
... you need not only read in anonymity!  :shock:
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I don't know if this is obvious but I'll mention it anyway. I very often use the scraps to make my own "virtual folders".

That is I collect the files and folders I need in the scrap, create another folder in a covenient location, copy the scrap content and add it as hardlinks in the new folder.

Of course this only works on the same partition and sometimes there is a small problem with files with the same name.

But this procedure has saved me tons in time for all kinds of comparing, copying, sorting, eleminating dupes, changing dates and so on.
jw

Post by jw »

but welcome to the board, anyway, jw.  

Please contribute with your comments/questions/doubts /etc.
Thanks.  The User Manual has answered all my queries so far.  I find that threads such as this one on Scraps, started by Telemacus, make me realise that I'm not making the best use of that feature so I go to the manual and do some homework.  This is one fine program.

Regards
John [/quote]