save XP, vote now

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Apart from looking better (who cares?), can someone just tellme a couple of things that you can do with windows vista but you can't with windows xp?
I'm talking about useful stuff that we all need.

That's basically the essence of all this. MS has to artificially create new necesities for the consumers to keep buying new versions of their OS. That's what it lives on.

But I'm open minded about windows vista: I'll probably install it sometime in 2012, aproximately. ;)
XP is just fine.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Telemacus wrote:Apart from looking better (who cares?), can someone just tellme a couple of things that you can do with windows vista but you can't with windows xp?
Personally I like little nice things like it's responsive right from the boot, desktop search is less obtrusive, new start menu, UAC (yes, I DO like it!), network and power management is way better, and yes, its candy look-n-feel, plus media center which I didn't have in XP Professional.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wasker your infatuation with progress makes you blind! vista was rushed off unfinished, and that's that. If I show you the xplorer2 code you'll see all sort of basic funny things I had to patch up for the listview control alone. If you see my daily mailbag there are people screaming about crashes with drag-drop, even paste, other people have their speakers beeping every time they press a key.

and after installing the SP1 beta, i'm still seeing the same things, we can only hope for the final SP1 release...

and if there are so many loose ends I can see, imagine what goes on under the hood, with their touted security improvements  :shock:

now you got me all pumped up and i'll blog about it next week :)

ps so you can reproduce the mouse scroller thing... perhaps i'm not crazy after all  :roll:
TracyB

Post by TracyB »

and clearly save xp is not literal, it's just venting off at m$
At the very least it could influence in part the direction future OSs take. I don't think it's stupid at all - public opinion matters.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

nikos wrote:If you see my daily mailbag there are people screaming about crashes with drag-drop, even paste, other people have their speakers beeping every time they press a key.
Funny, I do not have any of these. I really like to know what I do so right, or what they do so wrong.
mikelino

Post by mikelino »

What I get is that a very big number of people do have one ore more hardware problems (that may be the fault of late driver support by the HW companies). Then there is also a smaller number of glitches and annoyances in Vista everybody feels different about and that may get at least partially removed by SP1 or updates. Then there is a number of users not happy with the DRMification, thats another point. So usually these points are on the negative side.
There are some positive points as well, like fast boot time (if you been slow on xp), bitlocker (if you need it), DX10 (if yo are a gamer), stability (if you had problems on xp) and some more. Many "positive" points of Vista can be obtained also for XP (for free), so these do not count.
Laptops are generally to be seen different, because their hardware is usually Vista tested and a big negative part simply does not exist (but you possibly will cry if you try to attach the untested beamer for a presentation in front of a 200p audiance, ähäm). For desktops, I think Vista can not be recommended in the current stage, not always because its so bad but on some systems just because it is not significantly better than XP.
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

Vista does have a few things going... the more aggressive prefetcher is nice, and the hardware-accelerated GUI as well (yes, XP did use hardware acceleration as well, but Vista introduces double-buffering for smoothness). But that's just not enough to upgrade, especially not with all the annoyances it has :)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:wasker your infatuation with progress makes you blind! Vista was rushed off unfinished, and that's that.
Let's say, it has problems. As any major OS here on the market. Certainly, if they were developing Vista as they were developing any other major version, things could look better. But I wouldn't name Vista a trouble from my end user point of view.
nikos wrote:now you got me all pumped up and i'll blog about it next week :)
OMG! :lol:
nikos wrote:ps so you can reproduce the mouse scroller thing... perhaps i'm not crazy after all  :roll:
BTW, you didn't tell me which hardware you're using. Last night you got me all pumped and I ended up uninstalling IntelliPoint, and got my scroller wheel working as expected.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you didn't tell me which hardware you're using
i don't know, the standard dell mouse that works perfectly when i dual boot the same system on XP

how about this other vista beauty: windows don't paint properly! I've seen this many times in xplorer2 when I bring it in front with alt-tab. Parts of the window that were behind other windows may or may not be repainted!

try it: put editor2 in front of x2 and press alt-tab quickly a few times
then marvel at vista's image of the future  :shock:
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

In all fairness, well-behaved applications tend to work just fine in Vista, from my experience. There were a lot of people bitching when the large 9x -> NT switch was made, the majority of those people had been depending on hacks and inconsistencies.

Not saying that's necessarily your case, nikos, after all there have been made pretty large changes in the windowing subsystem internals on Vista (IMHO largely for the better), so there could be bugs. But a the same time, MSDN/PlatformSDK documentation can sometimes be a bit puzzling and open to misinterpretation :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can anybody else see the vista paint problem with xplorer2 above?
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:can anybody else see the vista paint problem with xplorer2 above?
Yes, I saw it couple of times. Incidentally all of those were observed when I was interacting with x2. I don't want to make any conclusions, but this certainly raises some questions...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i also got suspicious about x2, but i ain't doing anything dodgy with painting, honest! :) http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wtl/message/15228
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:i also got suspicious about x2, but i ain't doing anything dodgy with painting, honest! :)
Aha! :D "Save xplorer2" first! :lol:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

microsoft took note of the 75000 votes here
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1294412345