Two annoying things: Pane style and Network lock

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

paNET

Two annoying things: Pane style and Network lock

Post by paNET »

I just downloaded the latest beta version to play with it and first of all, I have to thank you that you had in attention the problem of custom groups in a folder, groups that are lost when you leave the folder and then come back. But still there are few problems there:

Pane style problem I
1. If I'm displaying the content of the target folder with custom groups, this style is applied to all folders displayed in that tab (all its parents)
2. If I'm saving it with Folder Settings, when I leave the target folder and then turn back, the content is displayed with Small icons pane style and no custom groups.
2b. If I'm removing the desktop.ini file from the target folder, the parent folder is displayed with groups for each starting letter of files names: A, B, C etc.
3. If I'm going to the parent folder and I choose to display it as List and I'm saving its settings. When I turn back to the target folder, this is also displayed as List. I choose Custom groups, I'm going to the parent folder and then I'm turning back to target folder --> this is displayed with groups for each starting letter of files names: A, B, C ...

Pane style problem II
Another problem related to Pane style is:
1. I have a pane with 5 tabs. First tab is displayed as Details and the rest are displayed as List.
2. Keep opened the tab displayed as Details and close X2.
3. Open X2. All the tabs from that pane are displayed as Details.

Pane style problem III
Even if this is not annoying me personally, I think it should be resolved:
1. Open a folder containing files with long names and display it as List
2. Display it as Small Icons. The dispaly style is not changed.
3. Go to the parent folder and this is displayed as Small Icons. Turn back to the first folder and this is also displayed as Small Icons, but the problem in both folders is that the beginning of the files name are hidden by other file names that are overlapping them.

Network lock
For this problem, I'm suspecting it is more a windows problem than a X2 problem. Anyway, I think it still needs a solution:
The problem: If I have opened a shared folder from the network and that PC is turned off, X2 stops responding for about 30 - 45 seconds if I'm trying to use it for another task. I have the same problem if I'm trying to access an unavailable shared folder.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I. At present grouping isn't saved alongside other folder settings. I may fix that for the v1.71 release

II. only the active pane style is saved. If you need to keep some tabs in other styles, the only solution is Actions > folder settings > save

III. small icon view mode is buggy like that, sorry

IV. these timeouts aren't controlled by me, sorry. One day I'll get my COM threading sorted and we can have these reads fully in the background -- but I expect that the performance will drop for all folders marginally
paNET

Post by paNET »

Nikos,
There are more than two years since I'm living with the "Network lock" problem. I'm hoping with every new  release that you found a solution, but every time I have to accept the pain. This thing is REALLY, REALLY killing me every day. Could you, PLEASE, try to find a workaround if a solution is not possible? I'm almost desperately by this problem. I cannot shutdown my network connection every time I want to unfreeze X2. I don't know, a timeout or a manual drop of the COM you're using ... something ...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the problem with network folders can be solved using the /N command line switch so that xplorer2 won't attempt to read network folders when it restarts
paNET

Post by paNET »

This solution is working only if the X2 is already closed when the others are closing their computers. My problem is that I have X2 open when the shares became unavailable and then, even if I put /N, I still have to wait a lot to be able to use again X2. It's staying in "Not responding".