$crooged!

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

$crooged!

Post by nikos »

how about a little controversy in the x2-land?
www.zabkat.com/x2up.htm

i haven't charged a dime for upgrades since 2004, so I believe this is a fair deal. Note I won't be charging existing customers for updates this time (for v1.71), but probably next...

buying this lifetime upgrades addon, you make sure you'll never be charged for updates.

your honest opinions will be appreciated
thanks
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: $crooged!

Post by desslok »

nikos wrote:Note I won't be charging existing customers for updates this time (for v1.71), but probably next...thanks
hmm...I just bought a license in January. I would like to know how long upgrades would be guaranteed under this new plan for my license.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

one year guaranteed
jdtoomb

Post by jdtoomb »

Seems fair. (More than)
What would the cost of updates be? (without the lifetime assurance plan).
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: $crooged!

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote:... buying this lifetime upgrades addon, you make sure you'll never be charged for updates....
I tried but the system refuses to accept my Switch card - I expect because there is no box to enter the issue number.
igi

Post by igi »

It sounds fine to me.

My only question is: is there a roadmap of planned xplorer^2 features anywhere? While I'd probably buy lifetime upgrades anyway, I'd be more inclined to do so if I could see that features I want are planned for the future (even if it's only 'sometime in the future').
tonne

Post by tonne »

:thumbup:

It brings me hope on a 64 bit vista version ;-)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

How long is your lifetime, Nikos? :wink:
jw

Post by jw »

Good idea, Nikos, but at my age (76) it may not be a worthwhile investment. Think I'll spend it on a couple of bottles of something drinkable instead.

Regards
John
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I'll go in for this but only after I've used up the one year of updates :)
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

To me, it seems fair. But then, I, and many of us, already got quite a few free updates. No problem at all. But if I were new to x2... I'd have to pay 30 USD now, while knowing that the next 20 USD comes in a year. Or I'll be paying for separate future updates, of course. I know, it's the same for all those software products that charge for major updates; only better than that, as with x2 you get the chance to get all major updates for one fixed price. But still, it would make me think a little bit longer about the purchase. Like jdtoomb said, it might be good for those first-time-buyers to know the price of a 'regular' update.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

jdtoomb wrote:What would the cost of updates be?
To simplify things, whenever charges are made for upgrades (which isn't going to be every year), it will be full price. Like you have windows XP you get vista, that's a new thing. In all cases the lifetime assurance would be the safe (cheap) bet.
Gandolf wrote:I tried but the system refuses to accept my Switch card
how did you buy originally? Any regular credit card should be accepted. For other payment options you can use the drop-down box in the order page see: www.zabkat.com/pic/po.png
igi wrote:is there a roadmap of planned xplorer^2 features anywhere
narayan has warned me that x2 appeals to bright people so i should expect questions like that :)

well guys, I have a foot long piece of paper (a text file actually) with future plans, and it's populated by things you see mentioned in this forum. I want to be truthful and declare that I don't have any roadmap with dates and stuff, but xplorer2 is here to stay so you can expect things happening on a regular basis. Twice a year has been the trend up to now
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

so how would this be policed? would credentials be required for the download? or would existing keys expire and no longer work with the product?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no need for policing. Once you get a key for a particular version, that will continue to work eternally. If you need the latest version you may have to pay extra for it, according to the ideas outlined above
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

Perhaps you have misunderstood me....

I appreciate a key will always work for a particular version. My question is: how will you enforce the payment-for-new-version requirement?

Logically you will have to either:

a) Force authentication at point of download (where currently anyone can download freely), or

b) Enforce a key mechanism that differentiates between older (possibly expired) keys and new paid-for updated keys (where currently all keys work eternally for all versions)

Do you see my point?