Folders and pictures on camera not recognized anymore

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you run this version and see if it solves the problem?
www.zabkat.com/dbmon.zip
zwerfkat

Post by zwerfkat »

Suddenly the images are shown again over here (I did NOT install dbmon.zip). Although the preview window is still not working and my default image viewer is not opened yet. So same situation as with previous versions of xplorer2.

The address bar now shows:
;;{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}\devid:{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\0008:

Really no idea why it is suddenly working as before...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, that "personalized build" (1.7.1.3 [Unicode] DBG) now lists the files in the camera the same way as they show in win.Explorer; but still no thumbnails (or previews).  Thumbnails do show in win.Explorer.

I suspect the same mechanism in windoze that is forcing the .jpg file association to Win.Pic&Fax viewer is responsible for defeating the availability of thumbnails and previews in x2.

Note that I do not access my photo files this way, preferring to remove the camera card and insert it into a card reader.  The direct USB connection to the camera itself is slower and does not permit access to the RAW image files.  Others may prefer the approach, so I am checking it out as a courtesy.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you send me the debug output of that folder? Other than thumbnails, can you copy pics in and out? Does F5 work in robust mode or like drag drop? Any stock columns work? If you disable background threading from the gui editor, will thumbnails work too?

ps i made a new version please use it for your tests:
www.zabkat.com/dbmon.zip
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Debug log sent to you at info@...

F5 worked like D&D (non-robust, as if on same partion).
Tried with targets folder on two different drives.

I disabled background threading for thumbnails for the log file I sent
I later (not on that log) disabled background threading for slow folders; but it made no difference - still no thumbnails or previews,

Copy back to the camera does not work.  
(also does not work for win.Explorer)

Stock column report:
  • Name [S] - works ok
    Extension [S] - works ok
    Type [S] - works ok
    Full name [S] - returns the filename prepended by "0004\Root\"
    Attributes [S] - returns ---------  
    Modified [S] - returns <n/a>  
    Created [S] - returns <n/a>  
    Accessed [S] - returns <n/a>  
    Size [S] - returns <n/a>
    Path [S] - returns ;;{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}\devid:{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\0004:\0004\Root\
    Version [S] - returns an empty field
    Links [S] - returns an empty field
    Checksum [S] - returns 00000000
    Medium [S] - returns an empty field
    8.3 Name [S] - returns the 8.3 filename prepended by "0004\Root\"
    Size on disk [S] - returns an empty field
    Comment [S] - returns an empty field
    Contents [S] - returns 0  
    Keywords [S] - returns an empty field
    Streams [S] - returns an empty field
    Company [S] - returns an empty field
    Description [S] - returns an empty field
    Width[S] - returns an empty field
    Height[S] - returns an empty field
    Picture date[S] - returns <n/a>  
    ... and lastly:
    Shortcut to [S] - crashes x2 with DBM output as follows:
3452: view_130502 cols: Name(0), d:\umeca74\my documents\cpp\newkenny\folderitem.h(381) : Assertion failed: IsFileSystem()
3452: Second Chance Assertion Failed: File d:\umeca74\my documents\cpp\newkenny\folderitem.h, Line 381

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks
so at least, thumbnails and column information aside, we have restored some functionality! Are there any subfolders and how do they behave?

are there any non-stock columns in <alt+K> e.g. one for dates that will work?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

There are only 4 non-stock columns available, and they come up as the defaults in win.Explorer.
  • Name - returns base filename (no extension)
    Type - for half the files it returns the correct type, for the others it is blank
    (presumably the blank fields are on the 'interpreted-as-jpeg' image-files from the camera RAW files)
    Date taken - returns the date only in M/D/YYYY format (no time)
    Picture size - returns the file size in MB
And I checked with all background threading turned off, and it makes no difference thumbnail/preview-wise. :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's a patch for this problem in release unicode trim (only)
www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_UC_1713.zip (300KB)

you only need this executable if you have this type of camera problem. Unzip and put in the installation folder

thanks to all that helped correct this problem!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

and note that, as nikos says, this is a "patch" which is needed only for certain brand(s) of cameras (AFAIK, only Canon checked) and only when connected directly to a USB port.  It is a partial fix, so affected users can now at least see the files from the camera listed in the camera device "image" drive, and copy them to their computer as .jpg files using xplorer².  The files cannot be previewed or seen as thumbnails while in the camera, and RAW files are not accessible this way.  

If the above is not satisfactory, the workaround (actually my preferred method) to transfer files from the camera is to remove the camera card from the camera and place it ito a card reader connected to the computer.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Still Not Reading Canon in 1.7.1.4

Post by pj »

I thought the Canon camera read problem was corrected, but I just upgraded and still my Canon EOS Rebel XTi reads as:
;;{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}\..VID:{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\0001:
and no files displayed.

Win Explorer reads the files...

Xplorer2 - 1.7.1.4 unicode
OS - XP SP2

<sigh>
----------------------------
PJ in (sunny - finally) FLA
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Doesn't work for me anymore, either, although 2XExplorer and x2-Lite [v1.7.1.4] can get the files as jpegs, as before, as can win.Explorer.

However, if you shoot any of your pictures in RAW format, to retrieve the RAW camera files you will need to either:
a. use the dedicated Canon EOS Utility software that came with your camera to download your images via the USB port, or  
b. remove the memory card from the camera and plug it into a card reader.
(I always use approach b. Besides being faster, you don't need the use the Canon Utility.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hang on, didn't we solve this problem already?
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

I thought you did from the above posts and Fgagnon's results in April.  That all happened before I bought my Canon, so I wasn't testing the fixes then.  I'm only trying to read/copy the JPG's over.

I'll use a CF to USB reader to get the RAW's or, apparently, use the Canon utility (fgagnon - thanks for the info!).

The patch file above isn't available anymore, so I couldn't test that before installing 1.7.1.4, either.

------------------
PJ in (stormy) FL
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well, there was a partial fix in v1.7.1.3
With that version, the images were listed as .JPGs and could be copied from the camera.
They could not be erased,
they were not previewable,
there were no viewable thumbnails
and the RAW files were not accessable.

Now with v1.7.1.4 they are not even listed anymore. ***

I fired up v1.7.1.3 [DBG] to see if it still works, and it DOES (with the above limitations, as before.)

PS - Except that if I close and restart x2 v1.7.1.4 then it will list the images as JPGs.  
x2 just cannot find them if it is open at the time the camera is connected -- even if I wait a long time and manually refresh.
Last edited by fgagnon on 2008 Jul 14, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try turning off background threading from the GUI registry settings editor and see if it helps
also double check you are running 1714 from Help > About