Keyboard short cut for switch between folder tabs not workin

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mdavidson

Post by mdavidson »

I'm stumped.

I can no longer switch between folder tabs using the standard key combination Crtl+Alt+LeftArrow/Crtl+Alt+RightArrow. I've
1) checked the definitions under Customize keyboard use and reset these
2) reinstalled the latest xplorer
all to no avail.

Any suggestions - it drives me crazy not to be able to switch between tabs using the keyboard (mouse click works fine).
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Works fine for me. Do you have some other program installed that is grabbing these keyboard shortcuts?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

probably some other program is eating them, why don't you use Customize > Keyboard to change them? Ctrl+pageup/down is more standard keystroke for this purpose anyway
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Check under Customize | Keyboard use... -
What does the keyboard assignment list say for ID#'s 33038 and 33039 ?

if it indicates
Ctrl+Alt+Right 33038 Switch to next view tab
and
Ctrl+Alt+Left 33039 Switch to previous view tab
then it may be that something else you installed/changed on your system is intercepting these key-combos, or you have a fancy keyboard option turned ON similar to F-Lock or Caps-Lock that modifies some keyboard codes.
mdavidson

Post by mdavidson »

Many thanks for the replies so far and the sensible suggestions. I've checked my keyboard assigments but they are all correct (see below)

Ctrl+Alt+Left 33039 Switch to previous view tab
Ctrl+Alt+Right 33038 Switch to next view tab

I've also checked shift lock, etc...The keyboard is a simple Dell D630 and all is well. Besides the combination Alt + Right to go back in the history works fine so clearly Alt and arrow keys are fine.

It must be something else. I should add that it used to work fine as advertised (up until today that is).

:cry:
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

From my experience it is usually the Dell graphic driver that takes away this keycombination. I don't know the exact name of the culprit, but you can see it in the control panel with some blue icon. If you open it you can disable the 'hot keys' in one of its tabs.
But if it used to work fine until now, and you didn't install this one.... well that beats me.
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

I had this problem a while back too and someone suggested adding the Win key to the combination. It works: Ctrl-Win-Alt-Left/Right.
mdavidson

Post by mdavidson »

Brig wrote:I had this problem a while back too and someone suggested adding the Win key to the combination. It works: Ctrl-Win-Alt-Left/Right.
This works - many thanks :)  Of course it requires an extra key for this very common key stroke combination. Perhaps somebody cleverer than myself can explain why this works and what the path back to the more simple Ctrl-Win-Left/Right combination might be !
DougalScott
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DougalScott »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:From my experience it is usually the Dell graphic driver that takes away this keycombination. I don't know the exact name of the culprit, but you can see it in the control panel with some blue icon. If you open it you can disable the 'hot keys' in one of its tabs.
But if it used to work fine until now, and you didn't install this one.... well that beats me.
Thank you, this has been annoying me for ages. Finally got around to searching for a solution, found your answer, checked the Intel HD Graphics tray icon, and bingo, there were the hot keys. Disabled them and all works now.
Thank you.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Adding the Win key seems to override these key combinations hooked by other applications.

I use Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right to activate ClipMate, so they don't work for x² to swap tabs. However, Ctrl+Alt+Win+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Win+Right do work in x² to swap tabs. I don't know why this works and it may be peculiar to my system although it has always worked on several different keyboards.

It's also mentioned in another post: http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=55 ... light=tabs