Treesize column sort not working

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

unbob

Treesize column sort not working

Post by unbob »

I'm running Treesize Personal on my WinXP Home system. When using WE, a 'Treesize' column is displayed which shows the size of every file and folder. Clicking the 'Treesize' column header sorts the displayed listing in either ascending or descending order by the "Treesize" value.  

I have configured x2 (v1.7.1.4) to show 'Treesize' as the 2nd column in the folder pane (details view). However, when I click the 'Treesize' column header, the sort behavior appears to be exactly the same as clicking the 'Name' column header. ???

Treesize product described here - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Thanks, Rob
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

OK first of all adding a column to x2 would miss out on the main feature of the other application (viz tree map). Since the treemap applications are used for a very  brief period (to manage the disk size), there is little point in mixing their minor features with x2. They should be used on their own.

Secondly, x2 has its own size column, which calculates size for folders also. x2 also has a contents column (use ALT+K to add it). It shows how many items are there in the folder. So sorting on size/number of contents is inherently possible.

BTW there is another excellent freeware tool called WindirStat. Except the pie charts, it can show the tree mapo and bar charts. If you like pie charts, try another freeware JDiskReport.

HTH.
unbob

Post by unbob »

Thanks for the reply. I have included below a snapshot of my x2 folder pane. You can see the 'Treesize' column next to the 'Size' column. 'Size' is not showing the folder size while 'Treesize' does show folder size. I used ALT+K to add the 'Treesize' column.

Yes, Treesize can be used to display "tree" maps of folders - but that's a different topic.

Can you comment further on why clicking the 'Treesize' column header does not sort by "treesize" and why the 'Size' column is not showing folder size? Thanks, Rob

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

This is explained in UM thus:

When you are in root of any drive, x2 turns off the size calculation to save resources. You can turn it on again by pressing CTRL+D twice.
unbob

Post by unbob »

Okay, all well and good. I found this statement in the UM: "To see the sizes of all folders displayed in the active pane, press
CTRL+D (menu option: Tools | Subfolder size). The active folder pane
shows sizes of subfolders, instead of showing <folder> against them".

That's great - but I'd really like to make CTRL+D persistent by default so I would always see folder size. Is there a way to do that?

Also, I only need to press CTRL+D once to activate the folder size. However, the 'System Volume Information' folder still shows <folder> until I press CTRL+D a 2nd time.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ I'd really like to make CTRL+D persistent by default so I would always see folder size. Is there a way to do that?

In a word: "No"

(I use the foldersize service when monitoring size is important, as it caches the sizes once they are determined, so they don't need to be recalculated on each visit. And it can be turned on or off easily via Control Panel, so you can run it only when you want to.)
unbob

Post by unbob »

The x2 UM states (under 'Sorting items'): "Click on a column header to toggle sorting direction. There are three possible sorting states: “ascending”, “descending” and “unsorted”. When a column is sorted, a triangle in its column header indicates the sorting direction: It points upwards for “ascending” order and downwards for “descending” order."

Shouldn't this work for any column header added via ALT+K? It does not work for the 'Treesize' column header. However, sorting of the 'Treesize' column does work in WE.

The x2 UM also states: "x2 will also show all the columns supported by your windows explorer (from windows 2000 onwards)
The ALT+K command offers you a lot of columns to select from. You can have even more columns by installing specialized programs. See chapter 8 for details. (Once you install these programs, the ALT+K command of x2 will offer you more columns."

Is this a bug or am I missing something here? Any help much appreciated. Rob
unbob

Post by unbob »

fgagnon wrote:I use the foldersize service when monitoring size is important, as it caches the sizes once they are determined, so they don't need to be recalculated on each visit. And it can be turned on or off easily via Control Panel, so you can run it only when you want to.
Thanks for the foldersize link! Exactly what I want - I'll check it out.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ Shouldn't [sorting] work for any column header added via ALT+K? It does not work for the 'Treesize' column header. However, sorting of the 'Treesize' column does work in WE.  

It "should" work, but as I do not run 'Treesize' I cannot corroborate the details.  :(