Integration with Explorer

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

teknowledgist

Integration with Explorer

Post by teknowledgist »

I'm trying out Xplorer2 (x64), and I'm pretty impressed.  I really love interface and power of it.  It's SOooo much better than Explorer in Server2008 (and Vista, I presume), that I'm finding the things that require Explorer a bit jarring.  I'm wondering if any of what I am looking for is possible or not.

First, I made a registry file...
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="Xplorer2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Xplorer2]
@="Xplorer2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Xplorer2\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\xplorer2\\xplorer2_64.exe\" /idlist,%I,%L"
this works great for double clicking on "Computer" or shortcuts, but if I try to get properties on "Computer", it just opens a generic Xplorer2 (in the background).  Same thing if I try to open a network share from Start->Run....  

Anytime I use an open/save/browse window, I'm stuck with MS's horrible interface window.

Finally, if I use Explorer, I can just double click on archives (.zip, etc.) to open them in 7-zip (my preference).  I can't find the equivalent way in Xplorer2 to actually open archives in 7-zip rather than just opening them as directories.  Is there no way to tell Xplorer2 to use the system settings for file handling?

What I'm looking for is a (near) complete replacement to the useless interface MS has provided.  Am I crazy?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are using the latest 64 bit beta the folder integration is part of the installation, see this faq:
http://zabkat.com/x2faq.htm#C1
note it won't work on my computer and such virtual folders

for uninstalling zipfolders see
http://zabkat.com/x2faq.htm#B9
(but you'll be missing out on all this)
teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist »

I didn't check the folder integration during install because I wasn't sure what I was getting into, and I assumed (there's my problem!) that it was a setting that could be set later.

If I reinstall, will it wipe out all the settings I have put in place?  Do I have to uninstall to turn off the integration setting down the road?  Is this something that will be put into the "Advanced Settings" interface at a later date?

Thanks for the zipfolders info and keep up the great work!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Historically, reinstalling over prior installation does not wipe out old preferences, and often fixes issues.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you'd better remove all the changes you introduced manually, x2 doesn't understand these command line switches you typed
teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist »

First, thanks for all the help.  It really builds-up the quality product X2 is revealing itself to be.  

I reinstalled, and the integration is much better (once I removed those registry entries), but there are still some unresolved issues...

Almost every action that opens an additional X2 window (except opening from the start menu) puts the window in the background and requires a click to bring it to the fore.  Even double clicking on the desktop shortcut created from the start menu shortcut puts the new window in the background.

Is there or will there be any way to turn off (and back on) the integration short of uninstalling/reinstalling?  Especially while testing, it would be good to be able to move back to Explorer either for comparison, or to get something done that isn't working via X2.

I'm sure it not simple, but are there any plans to try to replace Windows Explorer interface open/save/browse dialog windows with an X2 interface?

Thanks (again)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ in the background -
If x2 is opening minimized (vs. not on top) you can use the /M commandline switch to prohibit this.  Otherwise x2 opens by default in the state it from which it exited.  (or was defined using Actions | Save settings now if you do not have Save state on exit set under Tools | Options... )

@ open/save/browse dialog -
If you mean the r-click context menu, you should find open_x2 has been added and made the default action.  The regular WE "open" entry should still be there for your use any time (vs. uninstalling/reinstalling x2 to achieve less/more shell integration).

Please note that my usage is only with 32bit XP, so I expect that on Server2008 your details are likely different.
teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist »

OK, this is weird.  

I was going to respond by saying that the windows are not minimized, just in the background with a blinking taskbar button.  I don't have Save state on exit turned on, so as I was trying to determine how I could have saved the state with the window in the back ground, without making any significant changes (or *any* changes related to explorer or X2 that I recall), now double-clicking on desktop containers ("Computer", etc.) opens WE and not X2.  If I double-click on an item in the right pane of WE, that item opens in X2.  

I have since rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled X2 with the integration option, to no avail.  

Still, if I choose X2 from the Start menu, it opens in front of all other windows.  If I double-click on X2 on my desktop, it opens behind all other windows and the taskbar button blinks to get my attention except if there are no other X2 windows open, and then it comes to the front with the "evaluation" window (as I'm still looking).

@ open/save/browse dialog
I don't mean r-click menu, I mean [some app]->File menu->Open and the quasi-WE window with a WE interface and "open" and "cancel" buttons.

Tow more inquiry/request...
- How hard would it be for X2 to show distinct icons for shortcuts vs. junctions?
- How hard would it be for X2 to simply follow junctions (which is what MS claims junctions were designed for - "non-compliant" software to follow)?  These two issues have got to be the most frustrating part of the new WE.  (For a truly maddening exercise, look at the two junctions "C:\Users\All Users" and "C:\Users\Default User".  One actually works!!)
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

teknowledgist wrote: I was going to respond by saying that the windows are not minimized, just in the background with a blinking taskbar button.
If you want more control over how X2 integrates with Explorer and support integration with all the virtual folders look at the following advance hacks

viewtopic.php?t=5772
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=35185#35185

Backup your registry before trying any of the stuff mentioned above.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for the blinking taskbar button part: if you add /P to the switches in open_x2 verb you'll get a fresh xplorer2 process for each folder, so the window will come up in front -- at the expense of system resources

(ps on my XP when i click on a desktop folder having enabled integration, windows come on top even without /P)

to make junctions more conspicuous, see this article on color coding
www.zabkat.com/blog/07Oct07.htm
www.zabkat.com/blog/14Oct07.htm

i'm not sure what you mean " X2 to simply follow junctions "
if a junction target is good it will be followed. Turn on the "shortcut to" stock column to see the target
teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist »

if you add /P to the switches in open_x2 verb you'll get a fresh xplorer2 process for each folder
I don't want to sound picky and incredulous at the same time, getting the window to appear in front has to be possible.  How are so many other apps able to come to the fore without having either single window mode or multiple processes when new "tasks" are called for them?  At the moment, I'm thinking of WE, MS Office, Open Office, Firefox, and (at the risk of getting banned for blasphemy) CubicExplorer.
i'm not sure what you mean " X2 to simply follow junctions "
if a junction target is good it will be followed. Turn on the "shortcut to" stock column to see the target
Junctions are not followed in X2 or WE (or CE for that matter).  Google for junctions and  "access denied" message when trying to open <X> folder.  Also, the "Shortcut to" column is blank for junctions (at least in the x64 version).  [Side note:  I just tried opening xplorer2_lite.exe, and the x64 trial version opens.  Huh!?]  

What I mean by "simply follow junctions" is to treat them like shortcuts in the GUI.  There is a command line tool that will tell you the target, and MS included the junctions in the first place to redirect "non-compliant" software.  Why not redirect the GUI to the target directory?  

I just tried something... If you go into advanced security properties for a junction and change the default config of "deny" for "everyone" to list data/read folder to an "allow", not only does the junction work, but the "Shortcut to" column appears.  They work like a junction not a shortcut though because the path doesn't change to the target but remains "in" the junction.  

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for answers.  Not that everyone who has helped isn't smart (smarter than me, for certain), but this is looking more like a "What the @#$% were you thinking MS?" kind of question.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the rambling.  X2 is really nice despite it's idiosyncrasies.  I'm going to keep trying to get it working the way I would like.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

teknowledgist wrote:[Side note:  I just tried opening xplorer2_lite.exe, and the x64 trial version opens.  Huh!?]
I think xplorer2_64.exe was in memory when you tried launching xplorer2_lite. You can kill it using taskmgr and then try again.
teknowledgist

Post by teknowledgist »

I can't seem to get X2 (x64) to integrate anymore.  I had it working at one point, but now it no longer opens when I double click on the "special" icons ("Computer", "Recycle Bin", etc.).  All drives and folders open automatically with X2 just fine (junctions notwithstanding ;-).  There isn't even any option to use X2 in the context menu for those items.

I've uninstalled, checked for any straggling, previous, registry edits that were done by my hand (rather than the X2 installer) and reinstalled several times, but no luck.  Any hints how to figure out what's wrong (or fix it)?

If I can get just this fixed, I'll be quiet for a while.  :-)

Thanks.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

teknowledgist wrote:I can't seem to get X2 (x64) to integrate anymore.  I had it working at one point, but now it no longer opens when I double click on the "special" icons ("Computer", "Recycle Bin", etc.).  
Did you try the pro.reg uploaded by czechboy in this thread
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=35185#35185  ?

I would advice you to first edit this .reg file to suit your needs. Verify that the X2 executable path is correct and only import the keys that you need. You can find the mapping between GUIDs and special folders here
http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... -keys.html.

I've not tested this on x64. But if something goes wrong you can easly undo these changes by modifying your reg file by adding '-' for every parent key that you have imported. See undo.reg. Since you are playing with registry, regular disclaimers apply.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

shell integration applies to filesystem folders only, not recycle bin and my computer. I don't know if the discussion pointed out by snakebyte will help but you can have a look