Xplorer uses all CPU runtime

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I will get back on this when (-if) it happens next.
jnbloss

More data on the cpu consumption issue

Post by jnbloss »

Hi again!

On my machine at last I can trace the problem. It always happens in connection with Acrobat Reader 9.

The problem seems the be connected with the preview funtionality. If I select the PDF document, Xplorer shows the preview of the title page.
The Taskmanager shows that X2 has triggered an AcroRd32Info.exe (which is started from one the the svchost-Daemons (the one acting as a DCOM-Server)).

A short time later (on my machine somewhere between 30 seconds and one minute), this Acrobat Reader process terminates again.
This is exactly the time when X2 is starting to consume all the cpu power!!
It is still responsive, but it looks like there is a dcom-client thread or something trying to poll the already terminated server process.

Is this of help for the issue?

Thanks,
Jürgen
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

weird, which windows do you have?
if you keep the full reader open (eg previewing some PDF) then this won't happen?
also try clearing the global option "extract PDF text in background thread" from registry settings editor
any of these help, let me know
rwnicol

Post by rwnicol »

G'day everyone!

I have  had this very same behaviour for the last couple of weeks; it is often using 100% of my CPU  :(  --  as  reported by Process Explorer, rather than the 95+% generally reported on these posts.  To reclaim my CPU I have to use Process Explorer to close x2, as it will not do so by itself.  

Sometimes the problem does not arise -- like right now!  I have previewed some MS Word 2003 documents, some quite large JPG pictures (about 2MB), and all is well.  So there does not seem to be any connection between using the Preview function and the starting of the problem.

But at other times, the CPU useage is OK only until I use X2 for some task -- even one as simple as changing directories in one of the panes;  after that it goes into its high-demand mode and will not stop.

I do not use Acrobat -- I use FoxIt Reader, so Acrobat is not the culprit in my case.

I am using XP Home SP2.

I have not enabled "extract PDF text in background thread".

I have an image of the top portion of Process Explorer when the problem has just started -- you can see the CPU useage jump from virtually zero to virtually 100% in one of the graphical displays.  However I know that I cannot paste the image into this message unless i can work out how to change from BBCode to HTML!!.

It would be good to  have someone come up with a definitive fix for this annoying problem.

Cheers all!!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i hate to say that this is most probably a conflict between xplorer2 and something else you have installed, not xplorer2 per se.

as most people (including myself) cannot reproduce this problem it is down to you to discover a pattern that causes it. Perhaps it has to do with the shell context menu, perhaps you need to first copy/paste something. Try and see if you find something reproducible.

if you want to attach pictures use something like http://tinypic.com/ which offers results for forums too
rwnicol

Post by rwnicol »

Hi Nikos

:D Thanks very much for the comments; i will work on it, and hopefully will stumble on the culprit.  If I do I will post the result, so it may be of some use to someone else.

Also thanks for the tip on using tinypic to get images into these posts.  Next time the need arises I will give it a go .

Cheers

Robert Nicol