blog: download youtube videos

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I guess so.
I always get the name as "get_video" when I use FDM alone.
(I tried both the general download tab, and the flash video download tab.)
When I use the context menu, I get a tiny file (90 kB) named "watch".

I checked FDM options, but there's nothing about Youtube.
What is your way to grab the links (especially from a channel page) with title? (use the download basket, or some shortcut, or something else? )

I followed the instructions here, and got the results stated above:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/youtube.htm
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Actually it worked for me "out of the box".

I'm using v2.5 build 747 with German Interface.

I've set up my browser (Opera) with the tool oget to integrate with several DL-Managers with FDM as the standard.

So with right-click and "download with oget" it transfers the linke to FDM.

But the renaming works also if I insert a URL into FDM directly with the clipboard. Initially it shows the "get download" briefly but than gets the title from the URL and saves it with the name.

Sorry can't say more than that. I've looked in the properties too, but couldn't find anything specific for that either.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

AH! That oget must be doing the real trick (just like my DownloadHelper in FF). It must be responsible for passing on the name of the video (reconstructed from the page name)
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

narayan wrote:AH! That oget must be doing the real trick (just like my DownloadHelper in FF). It must be responsible for passing on the name of the video (reconstructed from the page name)
Actually no!. As I wrote before FDM does grab the title also completely without intereference of oget or other programs when I copy the YT URL from the clipboard into FDM.

You get a brief moment the "watch" als filename and then it is replaced by the correct title.

Do you have the box checked for automatically create file name (or whatever it's called in English)?. It's in the "add download" dialogue.

The only thing that annoys me with FDM for Youtube that it changes the normal URL of the video permanently to the actual temporary URL which expires later. And you can't get back to the original URL from within FDM.

Mostly that's not needed though.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I followed your tip ("the watch file gets converted after some time") and tried FDM directly from the YT's channel page link (did not even have to open that video page).

It works beautifully.

Only thing, this little thing is not explained on their instruction page.
When such crucial points are missed in the step-by-step procedure, there is bound to be some confusion.  :roll:
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

narayan wrote:I followed your tip ("the watch file gets converted after some time") and tried FDM directly from the YT's channel page link (did not even have to open that video page).

It works beautifully.
Glad it's working for you now. It's really helpful. Indeed I usually don't open the pages anymore and just use FDM from the search results.

Maybe you had tried embedded URLs before and that was the problem?

Anyway, you're right with the "manual". But it's opensource and free and writing manuals is tedious. Not every application has the fortune of dedicated manual authors like x2. :-)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

:)

I had difficulty in understanding its scheduler too; which is another great feature.

I had tried both methods:
1. Go to the video page and copy its page URL from the address bar; and
2. Copy the link from the channel page.

In both I got the "watch" item in FDM; and promptly deleted it. Partly I was conditioned to this behavior, because the FF addons suffer from multiple bugs (links disappear after some time only to reappear after some time; some links yield zero-sized files, downloaded files do not have any extensions, etc.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

looks like someone's read last sunday's blog and changed the "protection" for online video! I tried to keep the classic SP christmas special
http://www.southparkzone.com/season-sid-1.htm
it can't be done! They put the video in the TEMP folder as a locked temp file. If you close the IE window it's gone. If you use unlocker it's gone. Try as you might you can't copy it while it's there :crazy:
i opened their eyes...
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, Nikos, sometimes you have to conced that X2 can't do it all. :-)

On the other hand Orbitdownloader - also mentioned in this thread - with it's built-in Grab++ works beautifully locating the hidden URL and downloading it, so you can keep your collection complete.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi video downloaders,
This is slightly off-topic but still related. Here is from http://lostintransition.nationaljournal ... yright.php:
“Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:15 PM
Obama Copyright Move Cheers Advocacy Groups
By AMY HARDER
A broad coalition of digital advocacy groups and individuals, including the Electronic Frontier Foundation, MoveOn.org's Eli Pariser and Stanford University law professor Lawrence Lessig, are applauding Barack Obama's stated commitment to open government and suggesting ways he can show that commitment further.
In a new Web site that went up Tuesday, the groups lay out three principles they hope the incoming administration will follow. Obama's transition team pre-emptively agreed to the first one by announcing Monday that its Web site, change.gov, will implement a new copyright policy -- the Creative Commons License -- that allows for more widespread use of its content.
Lessig applauded the move Monday on his blog. The Stanford professor, representing the group Change Congress, is spearheading the coalition's effort along with Mozilla and the Participatory Culture Foundation. The groups have had a "back channel back-and-forth" with the new administration, and the new Web site could serve as a way to allow more public input, he said.
"Nobody knows exactly the best way to do this right now," he said. "So that calls for this kind of ongoing discussion, both inside and outside of the administration."
Lessig and company hope the incoming administration will agree to post videos onto sites other than just YouTube, such as blip.TV, so users can more easily download them. YouTube currently doesn't actively promote downloading. The administration got rid of the legal barrier by switching to the new copyright policy, and now it needs to get rid of the technological barrier, Lessig said. The group's letter also called upon the president-elect to make sure that all information, such as video of a press conference, for example, is made available to all media (whether it's broadcast TV or the Internet) equally. This ensures fair competition, Lessig said.”

On the subject of the Creative Commons License, here is from http://creativecommons.org:

“Share, Remix, Reuse — Legally
Creative Commons provides free tools that let authors, scientists, artists, and educators easily mark their creative work with the freedoms they want it to carry. You can use CC to change your copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights Reserved."
We're a nonprofit organization. Everything we do — including the software we create — is free.”
Last edited by Robert2 on 2008 Dec 06, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Curiously, the recent blog on Money as Debt comes to mind, as people scramble to redefine "Economic procedures and practices" in a world where most "common people" that those who talk about "Economic procedures and practices" are outmoded, selfish, and insidiously insane.  In other words, not connected to the real world.

Copyrights seem to be suffering a similar fate: in a world where young people don't read books, don't buy CD's, and seem to be under the illusion that "everything on the internet is free" - the "old guard" philosophies of Copyrights - indeed almost any proprietary sense of 'rights' at all - is simply caste aside as a mere irrelevance.

Bringing the fallacy "post hoc ergo propter hoc", to mind.  :(

The Americans with their Kennedy-esque hope in an interregnum Obama's promises may not be seeing the whole picture of "the beginning of the end" just yet.  Time will tell, and it is fascinating to watch.  I would never be one to give "young people" too much credit, but even their enthusiasm (political or internet-practice related) will be easily neutered by the reality of life in the coming decades.

Any educators in the audience?  Are "young people" even capable of conceiving of "Copyright" any more?  I suspect a great deal more will be required than simply rewriting a few EULA declarations.

In the meantime, firefox extensions make quick work of any legal "palaver" {sic}.  :D
Robert2 wrote:The Stanford professor, representing the group Change Congress, is spearheading the coalition's effort along with Mozilla and the Participatory Culture Foundation. The groups have had a "back channel back-and-forth" with the new administration
Interesting that Mozilla is specifically named, there.  Perhaps a mote in the eye of "benign" Google's hegemony practices of late?  Political manoeuvrings abound.  Like rats on a ship.  Or something.
:?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

With regards to “copyrights”, “Robert2” did not write “The Stanford professor, representing the group Change Congress, is spearheading the coalition's effort along with Mozilla and the Participatory Culture Foundation. The groups have had a "back channel back-and-forth" with the new administration”. Amy Harder did (http://lostintransition.nationaljournal ... yright.php). :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well then get her in here, and let that women's liberation stuff shine on, so the girl can speak for herself!  :D

(I was aware of that, I just thought it more expedient to blame it on you for bringing it to my attention.  :D  And, come to think of it, that's the second time you've "felt the need" to clarify my remarks-on-remarks with a caveat.  Is Robert2 sensitive about being taken out of context?  Whatever would Robert1 say about that? :shock:  I bet he's a bloody Contextual Libertine, he is.)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Robert1 would say “render unto Caesar …” :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

As the Romans never came to Ireland, we don't believe in rendering anything unto the master of the Gauls.

This sounds more like fear of litigation or something.  Remember that in the "real world" only the Americans and British thrive on that sort of nonsense.

The Irish, already in full knowledge that "the system" is corrupt, would never bother suing anyone over anything.  They would just utter some pithy tough-guy saying from the movies (like "Ever tried to pick up your teeth with broken fingers?"), then you would just find your family excluded from all the best funerals for the next few generations.

Such is the way of social justice in the hinterlands.  :D  For copyright infringement, the usual fine is half a cow and two comely maidens; or, in the absence of such property to render, a few fish from next week's haul will do.  Solicitors are unwelcome here.  :D