Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Windows 7

Post by johngalt »

Nikos,

Thus far I am having no issues with Windows 7 and xplorer2 v1.72 x64.  I just wanted to touch base with you that you should see 2 instances of recent registrations of x2 as I installed it under Vista a couple of weeks ago and just now under W7 (same machine, physically impossible to run both versions simultaneously) - this is not a violation of the terms, is it?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

of course not, as usual you can do whatever you want with your licence, other than giving it to other people :P

good to hear about windows 7. I was expecting a smooth transition since as they say W7 is basically vista minus the UAC :)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

lol, no, W7 is close to twice as fast as Vista, and it has UAC - just a much more customizable version of it.

Anyone who tested Vista with their own beta or RC key can test W7 using the same key.  It's worth the wait for those who have not made the transition to Vista already.

And X2 works like a champ in it.

ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Careful, the final version of Windows 7 is suppose to require twice as much hardware as Vista, it's not that great really.
I'm guessing early betas of W7 have the same hardware requirements as Vista SP1.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

ckit wrote:Careful, the final version of Windows 7 is suppose to require twice as much hardware as Vista, it's not that great really.
I'm guessing early betas of W7 have the same hardware requirements as Vista SP1.
Careful, don't judge without even trying it.

I'm loving Win7. I have installed it with all the bells and whistles turned on  on my old laptop which refused to run Vista. It is booting faster and has better performance as well as battery life than XP.

johngalt: Did you try the new Win7 taskbar? Its amazing. It is disabled by default in the PDC build. You can enable it using the blue badge tool
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Add me to the win7 beta list now that it's in general distribution for testing.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... 53205.aspx

I loaded it on a dual boot partition on my laptop yesterday.  
[The other OS on that box is Vista(x64) Home Premium.]
It will be a few days before I get used to the new taskbar config and get my wireless networking straightened out; but 64-bit x2 is working fine on it.  
        :)
I have yet to try the 32-bit version to see what differences there may be.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

somebody told me that when you quit x2 in windows 7 the program stays in memory, can you check with your task manager?
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

nikos wrote:somebody told me that when you quit x2 in windows 7 the program stays in memory, can you check with your task manager?
Wow, I hadn't noticed, but I can confirm this, Nikos.

Running Win 7 Ultimate and X2 1.7.2.2 32-bit, the process does indeed stay in memory.

Launching it again, the UI comes up, and for a flash I saw a second instance in the process list in Task Manager.  I exited again, and launched it a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th time, each subsequent time evidently did not start another instance, and in all but the first time (because I forgot to note down the PID), the PID remained unchanged.

Aside from the process remaining in memory (it's tiny, <10MB for me), X2 seems to run great on Win7, so far no problems.

Jeff
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is there a pattern or just a simple startup + close will leave x2 hanging?
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

Seems a simple startup & close will do it, but, to be truly objective about the test I will have to reboot.  

Believe it or not, I am using the Win7 box as a fairly critical component in my home network (domain-based, 6 machines) - it's my web server and file server (Drobo connected via USB, formatted as 8TB, can't do that in XP32).

As a related aside voucher, I'm a Vista hater - I had so many problems on VUlt64 ad VUlt32 that I couldn't really consider either for my web server, not the case with Win7.  Win7 is what Vista should have been all along, fast and stable, and to quote a cheesey commercial tagline, "I'm lovin' it."
Defcon

Post by Defcon »

I just tried this on the Win 7 beta, and xplorer2_uc.exe closes when I close X2, so it may not be an issue anymore.

More importantly, I want to see where X2 will go towards supporting the Libraries and Homegroup features. Right now if I browse to Desktop, I can still use Libraries (as they are a special folder), but e.g. Ctrl-K should now go to my document library and not the user's documents, which confusingly enough both exist in Win 7 :) Is this sort of thing customizable?
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

MegaZapFan wrote:Seems a simple startup & close will do it, but, to be truly objective about the test I will have to reboot.
Upon reboot, I immediately tested this, and at least with build 6956, the X2 process definitely stays in memory after a graceful close.

I killed the process and repeated the test, X2 still stays in memory.

An interesting note -  When restarting the X2 UI while the process is still in memory, the window placement is off... but if I kill the process and restart, then the UI opens where I'd last intended.
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

No such problems here, Win7 beta, x86. AMD X2 3800, 1 GB RAM.
fuxs
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Running x2 on the publicly released 64-bit Win7 beta build 7000 ...

Upon closing 64-bit x2, it does *not* remain in memory

but upon closing 32-bit x2, it *does* remain in memory every time,
& x2_lite (also a 32-bit app) stays in memory upon closing, too.

PS - no such problem seen running 32-bit x2's on 64-bit Vista/sp1.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

fgagnon wrote:but upon closing 32-bit x2, it *does* remain in memory every time
Noticed that too.