How to display/not display file extension?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

ukbirdflu

How to display/not display file extension?

Post by ukbirdflu »

I apologise if this question may have been asked and answered before, but I can find it.

The question I have is, how do I get Xplorer2 to display or not to display the file extension? In the old Window Explorer, I can get them to do it by going to tool/folder option/view and check or incheck the box "hide extension for know file types". Is there an equvalent like this in Xplorer2?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the same setting works for xplorer2
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Having a terrible time recently with auto-resolving links being autocratic, is there any way to force shortcuts to humiliate themselves with the '.lnk' extension like children reluctantly wearing their new shoes to school?

Ok, that was strangely worded, but the query is clear...

* Aside from simply renaming them all manually, I mean.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can put the FullName stock column first but then you'll need to press ctrl+F2 to rename files
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:you can put the FullName stock column first but then you'll need to press ctrl+F2 to rename files
Ah, excellent, cheers.  So many columns available, so little time, I never imagined any of them actually being useful.  Flotsam and jetsam.

And, as it transpires, there is no need for renaming, this provides the nudity I sought.  Or something like that...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You can force Windows to display the .lnk extension for all links/shortcuts by deleting the "NeverShowExt" value from "HKCR\lnkfile" but it gets annoying because even the shortcuts on the desktop will show the extension.

There is also a "HKCR\InternetShortcut" key with the same value. I delete this one but leave the lnkfile value.