Icons for specific file types not shown in xplorer2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gerald

Icons for specific file types not shown in xplorer2

Post by gerald »

Hello,
I have had problems with the latest xplorer2 version (and the one before).
The icons of specific file types do not display in xplorer2 but are shown in Windows Explorer (I have seen problems with *.pdf, *.doc, *.xls etc). Others (as *.txt, *.reg etc) are displayed.
Thanks for any help.

Gerald
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I cannot reproduce that on either XP or Vista.

Please provide more detail about your system OS and whether running any 3rd party shell extension and what theme are you using.
gerald

Post by gerald »

I use Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 2. I do not use any 3rd party shell extension as far as I know. I have not seen this problem as I said before xplorer2 version build 1.7.1.0 (32bit).
Do you mean Windows theme? I use a classic theme (modified)?

This is how it looks for xplorer2

and this for Windows Explorer

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Assuming you are using the German translation, have you updated it to the current build?
see: http://zabkat.com/x2transl.htm
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

check your tools > Options > general > folder icons setting
gerald

Post by gerald »

I am not using using the German translation.
I have not found "tools > Options > general > folder icons setting".
Do you mean "tools > Options > general > icons items"?
I have set them to "normal".
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

So your config is almost the same as mine.
I'm running x2 v1.7.2.2 w/ no translation, Item icons = "normal",
on XP Pro / sp3 fully up-to-date with a (modified) Classic theme,
except I have the Regional & Language Options set to "English (United States)" (ref windows': Start > Control Panel )
and as I indicated earlier, the item icons display properly.

I wouldn't expect the icon rendering to be impacted by Windows regional settings, but you might try to switch temporarily to an English setting to see if it changes anything besides the language in the column headings.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Out of what reasons ever (most likely size) Imageshack shows me only the pic with x2, not with WE. So I only rely on what you told by words.

File types can be registered for a certain application, or they are not. If you see the related icons in WE they seem to registered. So, what happens, if you ...

double click let's say a pdf- or doc-file inside WE?
double click the same inside X2?

Do they get opened in both cases?

Another question:
What type is the account you are using? Admin or limited user?
If you go into another account, is it the same or different.

In case you have no other account (This is really bad!) you can temporarily do this:
Leave your account (Log off)
If you have the XP welcome screen, press twice(!) ctrl-alt-del, this will give you the classical logging on, there you can enter
Administrator
as the user name and the password (if set).
For the safety of your computer you should do nothing there except test the above described aspects (and the appearance of the icons in x2 in this account).

And BTW: XP SP2 is outdated since three quarters of a year. Probably a security problem?
gerald

Post by gerald »

I tried to switch temporarily to an English setting. It had no effect on the icon display.
Double clicking on the files works both in WE and X2.
I am running an admin account.
I went back to previous versions of X2, that is to 1.7.1.2 and even 1.6.5.3.
No difference. So what worked with xplorer2 before, does not work now with Microsoft Office files (doc, xls, ppt) and Adobe files (pdf).
I am using Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and Adobe Reader 7.0.7. As far a I know there have been no system changes here in my office, but who knows?
It has nothing to do with whether the file types are registered and icon display works fine with "all" file types except the ones mentioned above.
So I probably have to go to a clean WiIndows XP installation with SP3 and a new installation of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and Adobe Reader 7.0.7 and see what happens then.
Or are there any other suggestions.
Thanks for any help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

look let's try the simple stuff first; backup your settings (keep the REG file) then uninstall x2 removing all the registry information and reinstall. Is the problem gone?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

You did not tell about trying in  another account.

Check this and in addition do what nikos told you.

The results will be most probably the same, as the x2 settings in the registry do only affect the active account and can be very different in another account.
gerald wrote:I am running an admin account.
That is definitly bad and makes your computer vulnerable.
gerald wrote:So I probably have to go to a clean WiIndows XP installation with SP3 and a new installation of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and Adobe Reader 7.0.7 and see what happens then.
Just wondering, if this expresses, that you yourself have doubts about the integrity of your system.
gerald

Post by gerald »

I uninstalled x2 removing all the registry information (with backup) and reinstalled. The problem is still there, that  is even with the standard xplorer2 registry settings.
So it looks very likely that it is not an xplorer2 issue.
As I have looked into our Microsoft programs, I realised that the same problem occurs now with the "open file" dialog in all our Microsoft software. Strange, since with WE the icons are still displayed.
It may be related to an security update to Micrososft Outlook.
So thanks for now, I will work on these Microsoft problems and come back to the xplorer2 issue then.
Gerald
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

gerald wrote:with WE the icons are still displayed.
Reason could be, that the icons are still in the icon cache of Windows.
You have still an option to encircle the problem, it is your choice, if want to encircle it or not.
paNET

Post by paNET »

I have the same problem since few days and I think the problem apeared first time in these circumstances:
1. I switch from List view to Thumbnails view. X2 were working hardly to render some svg files.
2. I didn't wait for it and I tried to switch again to List view but X2 didn't respond.
3. I closed X2 from task manager and then started again. Since then, my icons for office files are not displayed.

I have no time right now to try the solution with a new installation or to try reproducing the situation. I just mentioned thinking this could be a clue.

Another thing: If I'm changing the default application for xls files (for example with OO Calc), the OO icon is then displayed in X2. When I switch back to Excel, the Excel icon is not displayed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so you can't see icons both in x2 and in other file > open or save dialogs?