here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/01Feb09-xplorer2 ... search.htm
not your average junk toolbar! :)
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Enhancements

Post by RickyF »

I started playing with the xplorer2 toolbar in Firefox this morning. You might consider adding the "preferences" features from the Google search page, particularly:
  • 1. SafeSearch Filtering (Do not filter my results, etc.)
    2. Number of Results (I prefer 100 items on the SERP)
    3. Results Window (Open search results in a new browser window)
These three items are automatic changes I always make when I set up a new Firefox installation for myself or an adult client.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

thanks but no thanks, I prefer using my open browser for searches, and if I want to check my mail I use outlook which is configured to grab ALL third party email, send and recieve, also having a clean and minimalistic x2 toolbar is important for a non power user like me. So many features, too little time to get to know them all, plus ofcourse altzheimers which plays a huge role, but only if I forget to take my morning coffee  :D but...how do you maximise earnings from your app without alienating users, that is indeed a difficult task.
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Highlighted word counters not showing up

Post by RickyF »

I have installed the toolbar in Firefox on XP, Vista, Windows 7, and OS X (Leopard). The drop down control next to the highlight icon does not appear on any version. You show it in your demo. Should this appear?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so how do you get hotmail and yahoo email in outlook? (I mean the normal web-based email)
The drop down control next to the highlight icon does not appear on any version
which firefox version do you have?
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

Firefox 3.0.5 (the latest version on all platforms)
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Highlight drop down control

Post by RickyF »

Quote:
The drop down control next to the highlight icon does not appear on any vers
ion

so how do you get hotmail and yahoo email in outlook? (I mean the normal web-based email)
I think we are talking about different things. The Wink demo showed a count of the hightlighted items. Firefox does not.

I do get hotmail (and live.com) in Outlook using the free Microsoft Outlook Connector - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... 81033.aspx.

There is a free tool YPOPS that lets you get Yahoo mail in an email client. (I do not use it but I used to.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the email question was for dunno

anyway I just installed firefox 3 and i can see what you mean about the drop-down. It looks that the firefox version works differently, like google toolbar before v5: each keyword gets a button added to the right, you can click those to find a particular search term in the page, eg

this method is not very space efficient but it works along the same lines as with the IE toolbar version that I discussed in the blog article
AKAJohnDoe
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AKAJohnDoe »

As long as there is an option to not install the toolbar presented during installation, I see nothing upsetting about packaging these into free software.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

btw does anybody have any problems with the email notifier?
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

This thing was making Firefox squirrely so I uninstalled it but it remains as the default search engine when I type something (not an URL) in the Awesome bar. Any ideas anyone on how to really remove this thing from Firefox?
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Firefox okay again

Post by RickyF »

Figured it out.

Searched for search.conduit.com in Firefox's about:config and reset each entry to its default. That cleared this up. :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what was wrong with the toolbar in firefox?
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

Some pages were freezing when loading. I have quite a few add-ons loaded in Firefox so there may have been a conflict with one of them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you sure it is x2 toolbar to blame? i was thinking that a possible suspect is the feature that automatically puts text you have selected on a webpage in the toolbar search box. You can turn it off from toolbar options (additional settings page)