searching for folders by name

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

n191975

searching for folders by name

Post by n191975 »

Is there a way to search for folders by name? for instance, I want to search for all folders named "tools", display their size, location & last modified date? I want to find only exact name matches not foldernames containing the word tools such as toolset for instance.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, but not necessarily obvious.
Follow the exact foldername with  ,.
(Otherwise the search tool automatically surrounds the string with wildcards.)

If you have more than one exact foldername you want, simply list them, separated by commas.

Of course you need to check the box in the search dialog to specify you only want folders, and select the details view style for the resulting list.
You can get whatever information you want by choosing which columns to display [Alt+K] in details view.  

see this thread for more discussion.

PS: to narayan (re: the promise you made in the referenced thread) - I didn't find where you added the information to the UM for how to find an exact name match.
n191975

Post by n191975 »

Is there a way to limit the folder depth of the search (e.g., 3 levels below the root) & can the search automatically display the folder size? Thanks
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ Is there a way to limit the folder depth of the search -
No.  (although this has been requested in the distant past, there has been no clamor for it, therefore no effort towards implementing it as an option.)
The only thing I can suggest is to choose the option to go "breadth first", and hit Esc when you see it's gone deep enough.  The search won't stop immediately, but it will eventually.  
Unless you are looking for system files, you can speed up the search by excluding C:\Windows and application-related paths by prefixing each such path with a minus sign.
for example, here is a "Look in:" spec entry I use for finding stuff I forgot where I put on C:
C:\,-C:\windows,-C:\Program Files,-*local settings*,-*application data*

@ can the search automatically display the folder size?
Yes, as I mentioned earlier, just use the "Details" view for the scrap pane which collects the search results, and have "Size" chosen as one of the columns.  The sizes will not display immediately, but as they are calculated in the background in near real time (vs. being cached from an prior survey of sizes).
Note: you need to have the option set for Calculate subfolder size automatically accessed from Tools | Options... Advanced
or use Ctrl+D to force calculation of sizes for selected folders (use Ctrl+A first if you want them all selected).
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

hey everyone,

what i wanted previously was for LOOK IN folder paths to be filled in automatically based on folders which are highlighted / selected. of course this could be optional. a button could be in the FIND dialog to grab selected folder name paths.

also when I've done a search and have folders in the scrap pane i may want to search within a couple folders. the results could come up in the other pane within the scrap or a new scrap pane. haven't thought that bit through yet.

x2 = sanity (been in hospital 1wk and now having a red cell transfusion. i need my laptop. i need my x2! :-) )
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a variation of copy path names command is <alt+ctrl+C> which copies names in a comma separated list. So select the source folders, press <alt+ctrl+C> then paste it in the LookIn field of find files dialog
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

thanks for that. will check later :)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

it works! :)

Post by profess »

nice one, thank you

(I am better and soooo glad to be home!)