Couple questions regarding

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

JonBoy

Couple questions regarding

Post by JonBoy »

Is there a way to add "Compare subfolders" to a toolbar? Maybe I missed it as a toolbar command that can be added in?

Once I run the Compare subfolders menu option and the scrap container is up, is there a way to rerun the compare within the scrap container?

For example, if I run the subfolder compare and then go in and manually change some files, I don't see this reflected in the scrap window. I tried using refresh and repeat command.

Thanks for any ideas or help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as with any other menu command without an icon, the only way to do it would be to hack it with menuhack, use the search facility of the forum to find out more

once you have the files in a dual-pane scrap you can use F9 to compare the sides, or see Mark menu
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

nikos wrote: once you have the files in a dual-pane scrap you can use F9 to compare the sides, or see Mark menu
Roger, I'll check into the menu hack for getting the toolbar icon.

I'm not getting the expected result when using f9 on an existing scrap window for the sub folder compare. Am I doing something wrong w/ the following scenario?

I have identical tree structures with the same directories and no files. I open compare subfolders which at this point will not show any differences (I am using the content compare option only).

I run an app which generates files in one of the sub folders in one of the directories used in the compare.

I go back to the scrap container and press F9, but the changes are not displayed. If I rerun the compare subfolders from the menu which opens a new scrap window - the files are then displayed.

Probably a user education problem......just curious as to what I am doing wrong.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

most probably the scrap fails to autorefresh, try a ctrl+R and see if it helps
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

Ok, just tried that and the panes are not updated with the changes.
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

This appears to be happening.

Create an empty directory structure w/ several nested folders. Copy the entire structure to another place on the drive (so we have matching structs)

At the deepest level of the directory struct 1, create a test file (only do this to one struct). Using xployer, select the root dir of both structs in each pane.

Run the sub folders compare.  The difference is properly shown with the scrap window which also displays the deepest directory on each dir struct being different.

If you make changes in this exact sub directory, the changes are picked up. If you make changes to any other parent directory in the tree (that existed in the orig struct), the changes are not picked up.

When the sub compare is orig run, it's not storing the orig path value (the parent root of each pane); so when doing a recompare (or auto refresh), its only taking into consideration any paths that were orig returned and were different. Is this by design?

It would be ideal to compare the orig tree paths since that's the sub compare started with.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately what you describe is correct and unavoidable due to the way scraps store their contents. If after the comparison you add new folders they won't be picked. However if you merely change contents in folders already present in the scrap, they will be picked. It depends how big the changes you make are. For safety it's best to repeat the comparison afresh

to be honest, i don't like the deep synchronization feature in xplorer2  :shock: it's too complicated and fragile. You're better off using a dedicated folder comparison tool like windiff or similar
JonBoy

Post by JonBoy »

Roger that gold leader. I'll take a look into WinDiff.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

may the force be with you :)
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

You might take a look at TreeComp. Very powerful and with auto-refreshing feature.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Try WinMerge

Post by JRz »

JonBoy wrote:Roger that gold leader. I'll take a look into WinDiff.
Have a look at WinMerge too (Open Source). A very powerful comparison tool. Does folder and file comparison. I particularly like the way it displays differences side by side at word or even character level (as opposed to windiff, which only indicates lines are different).

http://winmerge.org
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

The only thing I miss in WinMerge is three-way comparison. A pity, really. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012