Bookmarks disappear

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...the only confirmed 'disappearing bookmark' cases are due to registry cleaners... This problem affects only a very small minority...
As a simple observation, a thread that gets 2250 hits in under a year would seem to be something a few users have in common.

I've experienced this myself from time to time, but have been unable to recreate the event (registry cleaner was ruled out), but that doesn't mean the Loch Ness Monster isn't real.  :shrug:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

And I will affirm that observation.
I have also had cases of disappearing bookmarks, although none in the past year or so.  
But when I was actively changing my x2 settings (trying different config's to see what I would find best suited my needs) there would be many times that I found bookmarks missing that I had previously set up.  Frustratingly, I could find no reproducible pattern.   And I haven't used a registry cleaner since the previous millennium, having found that they screw up as many things as they fix.
tkoster

disappearing bookmarks after updating to 1.8.0.9

Post by tkoster »

I've experienced the disappearing bookmarks 'feature' too after the last few upgrades. I routinely upgraded to 1.8.0.9 and since then, it's very frequent.

I've fully uninstalled and re-installed xplorer2, but my bookmarks keep disappearing.

I've tried recreating bookmarks offline and connected to the corporate network, but there is no pattern, they just keep disappearing. Sometimes all of them, sometimes only networked folders, sometimes a few of them. There is no pattern.

I am certain I have no automatic registry cleaner running

My hunch is that this annoying problem exists since the Windows Explorer replacement feature. I've unchecked this and will try for a few days. I'll report back.
tkoster

and yes, they dissappered again....

Post by tkoster »

As in my previous message, I've deselected the "explorer replacement" option. And yes, the bookmarks automagically dissappeared again last afternoon. Strangely though, this time the bookmarks to local disks dissappeared, not the bookmarks to networked disks....

This is a nuisance....
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Two of five bookmarks gone again today.

Maybe we should start to compare the individual environments and possible culprits somehow. Maybe somebody can design a checklist?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how are you using xplorer2, do you keep one window open all the time or you close and reopen it frequently each day?
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Mostly I have an instance of x2 running the whole day. Not much with opening and closing.

Since I replaced WinEx with it there's occasionally another instance when I insert a USB stick or similar cases, though. But definitely not frequently.
hayamaguchi

Post by hayamaguchi »

I also am experiencing the same "disappearing bookmarks" problem.  I've been noticing it since I upgraded to Win7 a few months ago.  I am using the 64-bit version of Win7 (and x2).  I'll keep lurking in this forum until some solution's found, but in the meantime I'll try the registry workaround.
tkoster

Post by tkoster »

nikos wrote:how are you using xplorer2, do you keep one window open all the time or you close and reopen it frequently each day?
For me it's the same: I keep one dual-pane window open, next to my Outlook window.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Do you always close x2 before shutting the computer down, or do you habitually (or even occasionally) just shut windoze down, trusting it to close all apps in orderly fashion?
... or do you sometimes turn off power to your 'puter at shutdown, not always waiting for windoze to completely shut everything down?
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I usually close x2 before shutting down.

Also, if you're thinking of save states: The remaining bookmarks never existed in this constellation before on my computer, so I reckon it can't have to do with not saving it properly because of a shutdown or whatever.
tkoster

I've found a indication when Xplorer2 bookmarks dissappear

Post by tkoster »

I've seen the following consistent behaviour: everytime when I shutdown Windows and  Xplorer2 crashes, my bookmarks are partially or completely gone. The crash only happens when I shutdown Windows, not when I exit (ALT-F4) my Xplorer window.

There is no crash information available from the menu option, there is no minidump. I got some information written from the screen:

The instruction at '0x16016' referenced memory .....

So it's a problem when windows tries to close Xplerer.Exe
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is explorer.exe crashing or xplorer2_UC.exe? the first one is windows explorer!
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

worked for me...

Post by kunkel321 »

Been gone a a while, but saw this thread...
FWIW:  When the "use-as-default-file-manager" feature first came out I had problems with disappearing bookmarks...  Disabling the "use as default" seemed to fix it and I haven't had any problems since...
srdjan

Post by srdjan »

Well...I disabled "Use as default..." but it still doesn't work. I really can't find the pattern how to repeat this bug. :?