Folder size calculation

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MerleOne

Folder size calculation

Post by MerleOne »

Hi all,

It seems that, when I open a drive root folder, most of the times, I cannot get the folder size calculation to start, I have to press Ctrl-D.  Is this normal ?

Thanks.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

That is a design feature, as the root (being the entire drive) takes longer to compile.  So, rather than automatically consuming resources, x2 can stay 'light' usage-wise until the user asks for the size if/when needed.
MerleOne

Post by MerleOne »

Thanks for the confirmation !
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I wanted to ask for some time now: Is the folder calculation escapable or can be made so?

Often I only need the size of one or a few folders, but if started in a big root it always completes the root (same for big folders of course), even if I change folders. And it isn't possible to start another folder size calculation in another folder or the other pane before the first one completes.

So an escape function would be appreciated.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it isn't really escapable since it uses the background thread. A lot of work would be required to change this behaviour. I recommend using folder statistics instead <alt+D> which is escapable
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

nikos wrote:it isn't really escapable since it uses the background thread. A lot of work would be required to change this behaviour. I recommend using folder statistics instead <alt+D> which is escapable
Well, that's what I feared. I know alt+D of course, after all it's been there before Ctrl-D already in 2x.

But it's not really a good workaround. Ctrl-D can be used for sorting the folders for size and for a quick compare if the size (and therefore mostly the content) of another folder in the other pane is the same.