Rename not selecting folder "extension"

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ardax

Rename not selecting folder "extension"

Post by Ardax »

Why is it that when I rename a folder with a period in the name, everything after the last period is left unselected?

This happens whether the advanced "Folders can have extensions too" setting is checked or not, and it's been like this on every system I've ever used x2 on.  XP, Vista, 7 (Beta or RC), 32-bit or 64-bit, with several versions up to 1.7.2.6.

It's really annoying -- folders don't have extensions, and if I'd wanted them to, I'd have checked the box to say so!  :)

While I'm talking about the rename functionality, what about adding a little extra to it?  Pitaschio extends Explorer's F2 rename ability by selecting only the basename, as x2 does.  However, tap F2 again and the extension will be selected.  Tap it yet again and the entire filename is selected.
P72

Re: Rename not selecting folder "extension"

Post by P72 »

Ardax wrote:Why is it that when I rename a folder with a period in the name, everything after the last period is left unselected?

This happens whether the advanced "Folders can have extensions too" setting is checked or not
I can confirm this happens also on the Lite version. A fix would be much appreciated (pleeease? :))
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Does using the ctrl+f2 rename work?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

open the GUI registry settings editor and somewhere in there there's an option that controls this feature (folders can have extensions too). The value you can lookup in registry.txt is GIOPT_DIREXTENSIONS
Whitman

Post by Whitman »

nikos wrote:open the GUI registry settings editor and somewhere in there there's an option that controls this feature (folders can have extensions too). The value you can lookup in registry.txt is GIOPT_DIREXTENSIONS
I think you missed this:
Ardax wrote:This happens whether the advanced "Folders can have extensions too" setting is checked or not, and it's been like this on every system I've ever used x2 on.  XP, Vista, 7 (Beta or RC), 32-bit or 64-bit, with several versions up to 1.7.2.6.
and I've just confirmed it on XP, 1.2.7.6 unicode.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

make sure you enable this for the layout you are using, or even better enable it for all layouts (there's a drop-down box for layouts near the top of the GUI registry editor)
Whitman

Post by Whitman »

I only use the "Default Layout".
Ardax

Post by Ardax »

I only have and use "Default Layout" as well.

Ctrl+F2 works, but I'll never remember to use a different shortcut "sometimes", and replacing an in-line editor with a modal dialog box is just icky.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok then, that's my bad, i'll see how can i sort this out
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

F2 in the current beta still will not select all of a folder name if it has any periods.

The "folders can have extensions too" option has no effect on this.
Ardax

Post by Ardax »

Just poking back in to say that this is fixed as of 1.7.2.22 Beta*, though it's not mentioned in the changelog**.

Thank you!!!

* I've only tested x86 so far on XP.  I'll be able to test on other platforms later, but I'd be surprised if they were different.

** At least, I couldn't find it in the changes.txt file.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Work for me in W7 RTM 32 bit as well.

Thanks, Nikos.