blog: rapidshare your pictures

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/18Oct09-sharing-pictures.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Whoa, whoa, whoa... are you suggesting there's actually a legitimate use for RapidShare?  That's just not right.  You're ruining my romantic understanding of the laissez-faire liberalism of the German/Swiss Corporate culture.

I thought maybe the fee from my premium account was helping to feed starving children in Gungaland, where they believe taking someone's picture steals their soul (which it does).

Do you really mean to insinuate that their "240 gigabit/s of Internet connectivity and 5.4 petabytes of storage" exist so people can share pictures/souls with their friends?

This is just all wrong.  I'm so disillusioned.

I'm going to defect to MegaUpload.  :D
netwhr

Post by netwhr »

imageshack is also ideal for uploading image.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

[slightly OT]

I would propose TinyPic.com. RS is not made for sharing pictures. To be more precise: It is actually unusable without a premium account. Even for legal contents.

Sharing .zip files works better via eMule et al., you don't have "45 seconds waiting time" there ...

[/slightly OT]
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:RS is not made for sharing pictures. To be more precise: It is actually unusable without a premium account. Even for legal contents.
Wouldn't describe it as unusable - it's grand for larger temporary files (ZIP/RAR's) of a few hundred MBs, which are intended as a one-off transfer to one or two other people.  Such as wedding videos and other such frightful domestic stuff.  As the files are automatically deleted after x-access and/or x-time (under free terms) it's intended as a service of convenience, rather than permanence.

That said, a premium account makes life so much easier.  :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this emule thing, it requires software installed first, no? In that case it isn't layman friendly as rapidshare. The main objective here is to be simple
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

I would suggest using picasa from google.

Start Picasa, import from your camera, upload to your picasaweb account. (I'm not sure if you must have a gmail account) Full size upload or smaller.  The website has face recognition, picasa 3.5 has it too. People can download whole albums.

The software has all sort of options and it very easy.

Take a look at picasa.google.com

I know, Google is the enemy and is going to use your pictures for everything they want.... Please that is not the discussion.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:The main objective here is to be simple
I wouldn't call that simple, having to wait and to solve a weird captcha and all that...
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

This probably doesn't count as 'simple', nor 'very cheap', but it does count as 'fantastic': your own external network drive. I got a cheap one from QNAP. And it's great. Just like the (big) companies, you have your own file- and ftp-server. But nowadays prices have become so low, that it's good for the consumer market. This one actually has become one of my favorite gadgets. Friends can up- and download whatever they like, once you've given them their own ftp-account. This thing is always 'on', hardly uses any electricity when it's not active, and it fits on your bookshelf (say, the size of a bit chunky external harddrive).
I know, it's totally off-topic, but i'm just so enthusiastic about it  :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:I know, it's totally off-topic, but I'm just so enthusiastic about it
Enthusiastic now, but when the KLPD come a knock-knocking, you'll regret not choosing more kosher friends with socially acceptable habits. :wink:

Seriously though, where's the bandwidth come from?  One of the great things about living in a backward 19th-century country is that one is never surprised when the powers-that-be laugh at one's technological ambitions.

* (If I'm not off-topic at least once a day, I'm not using my imagination hard enough.)
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

I had to look up what you meant by KLPD, indeed it didn't ring a bell (awfully bad pun), then I saw it was the acronym for the dutch police :oops: . That might tell you a few things. I'm as innocent as a newborn baby - just like my kosher friends -, and the dutch police, appearing now to have quite a reputation even in far-away-Ireland, has the scent of Spanish inquisition around them. Or possibly you were just referring to something else  :wink:

The bandwidth comes from an always-on ADSL connection, which people in this country consider a major necessity for a happy life. It's fairly quick downloading, fairly slow uploading, but there's no hurry with this little worker being awake all day
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Korps landelijke politiediensten - just one of those names/phrases that stuck in my mind (I can even spell it from memory).  Not as impressive as the French CRS (they don't ring doorbells, they just look mean and the world's barriers melt in atomic entropy).  And do I not daily regret the century I was born into when I imagine the storming imagery of a good continental auto-de-fé.

My Crusade of the War on Reason, you see, is beginning to take shape.  As it was your idea in the first place, my interlocuteur, the culpability 'tis thine.  No one who lives below sea level is innocent.

Way off topic now.  Good.  My imagination is alive.

What I actually meant by bandwidth though, was potential limit-caps - with all that activity (friends, relatives, evil-doers) having fun at your expense, are your ISP's under the Seas more liberal than my own fiberoptic-fearing potato-heads?

Having a little humming black box (with no doubt obligatory blue LED's) on my desktop - the energy consumption would not be the first thought that comes to mind.

My friends, you see, are the type who drink all the beer in the fridge, eat all sandwiches in the larder, and generally complain when I've run out of toilet roll.  Irish hospitality is a competition to degradation, contrary to what the guide-books will say.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Kilmatead wrote:Korps landelijke politiediensten - just one of those names/phrases that stuck in my mind (I can even spell it from memory).
And spelled correctly. But if you are talking about sharing things, you must be more afraid of BUMA/STEMRA. These guys were planning to ask money if you include a link to music (even if it is in the background of your dancing daughter) on your Hyves page (Dutch facebook).
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Sorry, hospitality does not exist in Holland. The good thing is, people therefore aren't used to pillage the kitchen. One coffee and one biscuit, that's all one expects, here. So, no complaints so far from the ISP. Besides, contrary to what the general opinion thinks, Holland isn't that liberal anymore, reading WimdeLange's post he will agree on that. Possibly the ISP makes the same calculation as I do: one upload to Rapidshare and one download from Rapidshare is twice the filesize running through the wires, and one download from someone's network drive is, well, only once its filesize. Not very probable they do, but against all reason, I'd like to think so.
Everyone should have a network drive. Not only does it have blue LEDs, but also green, yellow and red. It cheers me welcome when I walk into the room.

Now, is it also true that BUMA/STEMRA is preparing to charge you for whistling or humming a song in public? ;-)