Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

nikos wrote:as deletion is catastrophic
Well said.

But why does the new "completely override existing folders" option in robust copy options still does not use the bin and does no inform the user clearly, that he may lost his data without chance for recovering it? :x
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Not sure, what has been expected to be corrected in the public beta in comparison to the previous one, so I focus on some points only:

Starting with the positive: The tab moving bug has been corrected.

The language files still need to get updated.

Starting the advanced settings editor from the start menu is still annoying because of the delay. (This does not happen in 1.7.2.6, although there already the settings editor makes a check, if a x2-instance is open.)

Still an - at least not as expected, if not buggy - behavior with the new paste clipboard content as file into the current folder. If I paste (let's say a screenshot) into a folder, where a file x2scrap.png already exist (with default sorting it is more than likely that this file is out of view), x2 does seem to paste the new screenshot, but checking the x2scrap-file shows, that this is the old file with the old content; the new screenshot is simply lost. x2 should warn about this or - better - name the new file with an index (e.g. x2scrap(1).png). At now the user has to manually check, if there is a x2scrap-file already - and in most cases has to scroll to the end of the file list (or change the sorting order) and than manually rename it. So the advantage of the new feature is mostly lost. With IrfanView I am as quick as here but without the risk to loose a screenshot.

Switching the x2-language closes x2 and the user has to reopen x2 manually. Mainly annoying: The active tab gets doubled by this function.

I don't want to repeat all given suggestions here once more, but this one should get public: As there is now in the options dialogue the possibility to undo the x2-replacement for WE it would be consequently to have there also the option to set the replacement.

And not at least: I really do not understand, why this wrong behavior is still there (confusing the user as a feature? :shock: ):
Cosmo wrote:Another thing, which bothers me since a long time: Wherever in x2 you have to set a value (e.g. defining an advanced rule with a creation date for a file), where you can change the value with 2 arrows up/down (in German this is called "Drehfeld", translated "rotary field", can someone please tell me the official English word for that?), you have to click the down arrow to rise the value and the up arrow to lower the value. Not only is this against all logic (and again and again I at first click the wrong value), it is contrary to all other programs, where in this kind of field "up" is really "up" and "down" means in fact "down". Please use the next version to correct this.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what can i say cosmo, it is an imperfect world so not everything matches your expectations ;)

paste new picture doesn't warn about overwrites but the latest version should always be stored

finally your x2 window closes when you switch translations because you must be using the bSingleWindow option, normally a new window pops up
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:as deletion is catastrophic one day you'll be really glad that there is a line of defence for accidental deletions... alternatively you can disable robust deletion (see the advanced settings editor, global page) and do things as in the past
That dialog box doesn't make me pause and ponder my action when I use Shift-Delete, as I stated earlier, If I'm uncertain I'll use standard delete. I'm in the habit of pressing the enter key twice in succession without pause with Shift-Delete, besides, disabling it under global settings reverts to the standard MS dialog box, much of a muchness really, I'll just leave it to your default.

Mp3tag is a good example of user friendliness with regards to disabling obvious condescending dialog boxes.

anyway it's your train set and who am I to tell you how to change tracks :-))

The "completely overwrite folder" option in robust copy is brilliant, thank you.
and I promise not to bring this up again.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

nikos wrote:it is an imperfect world
You are so right, man. But didn't you create x2 professional to get an file manager as perfect as can be?
nikos wrote:so not everything matches your expectations ;)
In regard of which of the points in my last post? Regarding to the very last point (the rotary fields) you surely will not find anybody who will follow you, that in some x2 dialogs up means down and in others up means up (as posted in the first related thread already).
nikos wrote:paste new picture doesn't warn about overwrites but the latest version should always be stored
I did test it with the 20 build. And it behaves as I wrote. For reproducing:
Made a screenshot.
Did paste it with x2
made another screenshot (another motive)
Did paste it in (at that point you see, that x2 offers to change the filename, but the user does not have any clue (except his remembrance) that there was already a file)
I opened quickview - and I saw the old(!) screenshot

Mh, I just double-checked this now again, and that is what I found:
I moved the focus in this tab to the upper file and than back, reopend and than again opened the quick viewer: Again I see the old motive.
But: Now I refreshed x2 (ctrl-r) and reopend the quick-viewer: Now the new content is visible. But hey, shouldn't x2 (especially after doing an own action) refresh automatically? (Before you ask: Auto-refresh is not - and was not since weeks - been stopped.) And where from did the quick-previewer did take the old content before refreshing? :?

I did the above described test twice and I can reproduce the problem constantly.

Anyway: If the user makes several screenshots (e.g. for reporting a problem) he does expect to get all of them, not only the first or the last.
nikos wrote:finally your x2 window closes when you switch translations because you must be using the bSingleWindow option, normally a new window pops up
Yep, this is correct, bSingleWindow is set to 2.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Cosmo wrote:...name the new file with an index (e.g. x2scrap(1).png)
I'll second this suggestion - merely having the "latest version" of the file is a paltry consolation for what is otherwise a useful feature (and not just for screenshots).

As regards the rotary-dis-rotary, keep in mind that Nikos is Greek after all, and their cultural gestures are not logical, so he may not see a little irregularity as an end-of-the-world problem.  :wink:
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Mh, just wondering if you are the same who wrote this on Oct. 8th:
Kilmatead wrote:True, especially confusing as it conflicts with Actions -> Change Attributes, where when changing the 'Time' value, it works as expected (up is up).
:roll:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Cosmo wrote:...just wondering if you are the same who wrote this...
I never said it didn't need fixing, I'm just pointing out that perhaps repeatedly demanding it to be fixed isn't always the best approach.  Some cultures (not least mine own :D) do not always place the Germanic ideal of perfect craftmanship, logic, and orderliness as a high priority.  That said, consistency would clean up the professional face of the product.

But sometimes I like the quirks of personality included (such as some of the vague error messages...)  :D
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

any idea on when the final version will be?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Does that matter? "Final" is just a word for "something that makes users think it is more stable than any other version", which is mostly wrong, isn't it?
A new final version will right start the beta test phase for the next one.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:"Final" is just a word for "something that makes users think it is more stable than any other version"...
There's also the difference between the perceived number of bugs remaining, and the actual number of bugs remaining.  And that - certainly at any given version - is definitely a matter of who you ask.  :wink:

One could also enter into a psychological study of how many sportsmen's game has "gone off focus" as a result of getting married.  One wonders if that applies to ever-tinkering coders.  (Or I could just shut up now while I'm ahead. :D)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:a psychological study of how many sportsmen's game has "gone off focus" as a result of getting married
I still believe in the bright side, lol.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did anyone have any problems with the new robust delete thingy in network folders?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Not here with XP.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:did anyone have any problems with the new robust delete thingy in network folders?
Sometimes with Shift-Delete, (when deleting locally or on external drives), the confirmation dialogue box doesn't appear, the delete action is executed and completed. I don't have a procedure to reliably reproduce this.

And another peculiarity, this has only appeared with this beta version, nothing else was changed on my notebook, hardware or software. (OS; XP Pro sp3.)

When I copy a specific file from folder to folder (on a external HDD) a folder called "d1ffb5244538db141cdb" is created in the root directory of the destination drive, within are two files named,
A4E0523B-FF74-4982-8311-C1F600C30D39mpavdlta.vdm
5A2B1DB4-9E4E-4949-A01E-AD3C728A266Cmpasdlta.vdm

This "d1ffb5244538db141cdb" folder is not deleted after completion of the copy job and there doesn't appear to be any detrimental effect to existing folders after deleting this folder.

Edit;
I can't reproduce the above issue consistently... but I'm not imagining it either.