Adding settings from WinXP x86 into Win7 x64 xplorer2 64?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

see if you are using the /I command line option to import some non-default settings file; see the quickstart guide
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

im on a fresh install of win7 x64 so im using defaults.  and i import by double clicking the .reg file.  so im not using any command lines.  i just have to answer a few UAC prompts and i say yes to them.  pretty typical right?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

is this caused by a settings recognition problem with the 64 bit version of x2?  i tried importing my .reg into the 32 bit x2 on winxp and everything imports fine.  but when i use that same .reg file on my win7 x64 and 64 bit x2 i have this problem.  perhaps a bug?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it could be although i can't imagine how since the 32/64 bit versions share the same registry key for their settings

perhaps somebody else with 64 bit windows can try to reproduce this?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Kilmatead i sent you PM
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

i turned off UAC, rebooted, repeated the delete and import process and it still doesnt work.  

i also tried setting xplorer2_64.exe to compatibility mode for Vista, repeated the delete and import process and it still doesnt work.  

any ideas?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Using TsunamiZ's original '.reg' I cannot recreate the problem, so I suspect there's something blocking it on your machine; it imports/works perfectly on a new Win7 x64 installation, including all bookmarks and colour-coding selections (pink .exe's? :!:)

That's with UAC on or off (which shouldn't make any difference anyway).

Used stock x64 from the website and 1.7.2.20 x64 beta, both import without a problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

did you try it with the current final version 1.7.2.6 ?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

No plan, no x64 or W7 here, but an idea: Do this:

Reboot the machine
Do not open x2!
import the reg-file
Confirm the import with the reg editor
Still: do not open x2!
Reboot the machine
Re-check the registry with reg editor, that the imported settings are in place
Now start x2

What happens?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

TsunamiZ wrote:did you try it with the current final version 1.7.2.6 ?
Kilmatead wrote:Used stock x64 from the website and 1.7.2.20 x64 beta, both import without a problem.
Stock from the website is 1.7.2.6 - no difficulties.  Have you tried reinstalling x2 using 'Run as Administrator'?  Again, shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

i redownloaded the 1.7.2.6 from the main site, just in case my installer was corrupted.  but nope, nothing is different.  same problem, so its not a problem with my installer.  im already installing as admin.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

Cosmo wrote:No plan, no x64 or W7 here, but an idea: Do this:

Reboot the machine
Do not open x2!
import the reg-file
Confirm the import with the reg editor
Still: do not open x2!
Reboot the machine
Re-check the registry with reg editor, that the imported settings are in place
Now start x2

What happens?
amazingly this worked!  still no idea on the cause but at least it works now.  i hope i dont run into anymore problems though :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

TsunamiZ wrote:I'm already installing as admin.
Glad it's sorted - but it's worth noting that one obscure artefact of wisdom gleaned from Vista was that just because a user-account is logged in as an administrator, not all of it's activities are processed as such.

In many cases (such as installing any applications, fiddling with the registry, etc.) one still must, on occasion, manually select the "Run as Administrator" tag.  Many of these operations will report themselves as completing successfully, but they do not.

Unfathomable, illogical, and frustrating - but true.

Something to keep in mind in future, when a misbehaving toddler of an OS throws a temper tantrum and ignores your wishes.

Whatever it was in this case will probably never be known - but the ghost is still in the machine of Windows 7.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

i might have found the possible cause--not sure.  during my uninstalls of xplorer2, i kept getting a warning about its .exe is still running even though i exit xplorer2 already.  so i have to manually end process the .exe through task manager before i can uninstall.  could the .exe not closing properly be preventing the bookmarks and color coding from importing?  but then again, i didnt run xplorer2 prior to importing.  hmm, wierd.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

TsunamiZ wrote:amazingly this worked!
Not quite amazingly, otherwise I wouldn't had been able to give you a detailed procedure for testing.

The problem on my site was, that I have no W7 64 Bit for testing (because I don't want Vista 2) and the given info was too little to get an qualified assumption. So I did simply let you do the described steps and waited for the result. (Sometimes I can also be short in words, sometimes ... ;) )

My guess was - and now it is rather sure -, that there was still an x2 process invisible open, when you imported the reg-file. Than you started x2 again (as you believed) and in reality the invisible, but still alive x2 process got visible again. Making you do the double reboot was the solution to be assured, that a hanging process would not be able to interfere.

Consequence: If you do again an import, but without rebooting the machine (that means: start x2, close x2, import, restart x2) the problem will probably be there again (in case that x2 stays again in memory). You will have to check, if this assumption is correct and in case it is to investigate, why x2 stays in memory. E. g. Is there a x2 process still visible in task manager (or SysInternal's process explorer) after closing x2? Does it make any difference, whether you close x2 via alt-f4 or alt-x? Just curious: How did you close x2 in the past?

EDIT: Just found your last post after I posted mine:
OK, your confirmation came quicker than expected.

Yes, an open x2 is the culprit. You can import (and reg edit shows you the successful import), but the still open x2 does not read it (it uses the previously stored and read settings), but when x2 at last closes, it writes back the current (= old) settings and overwriting, what you did import. (Out of this reason x2 and the advanced settings editor cannot run alongside.)

But now there is a new question: You say, you did not start x2 before importing (that means between last boot and import). This is somehow impossible. You should check your autostarts (use the Windows-build-in msconfig tool or another appropriate tool). Do you have the WE replacement in x2 enabled (not sure, if this could be the culprit, Nikos can tell more about that)? In case you have, disable it for testing, if this changes anything for you.
Last edited by Cosmo on 2009 Oct 27, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.