show hidden files option help

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

arvid

show hidden files option help

Post by arvid »

Hi, Trying the trial and I have system files (pagefile.sys, System Volume Information folder, $RECYCLE.BIN, desktop.ini in every folder, etc) showing as well as hidden files.

I used the lite version before the trial and these didn't show up unless I had that option checked in control panel>folder options.

Is this the default now? Makes using xplorer2 a bit too cluttered, can they be hidden, but still view hidden files and folders?

p.s. v1.8 on Windows 7 ultimate
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

1.8 does seem to default to showing hidden files but you can easily turn that off in Tools/Options/General (second checkbox from top).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

v1.8 shows also the super-hidden files. So you either see no hidden files or all of them, which makes more sense
M8R

Post by M8R »

Long time user here, but this is my first post.

I have to say that I liked how it was before -- xplorer2 shows all hidden files and folders EXCEPT the super-hidden ones.  It would be nice if you brought this functionality back.

Windows Explorer has two options:  1) “show all files, folders, and drives” and 2) “hide protected operating system files.”  I like seeing my AppData folder so I enable the first option, but I don’t like seeing the recycle bin, pagefile.sys, etc. so I keep the second option checked.

I know what you mean when you say it makes more sense.  Maybe you can have two options instead?  A “show all hidden files and folders” option and a sub-option to “exclude protected operating system files.”
arvid

Post by arvid »

nikos wrote:v1.8 shows also the super-hidden files. So you either see no hidden files or all of them, which makes more sense
Yes, that's what I mean. Why does that make more sense? Those files are hidden because deleting them could affect the system.

I want to be able to see the application data folder but not the System Volume Information folder, desktop.ini, etc. which I never access.

I'm trying to get back the old behaviour. This way there is a desktop.ini in nearly every folder, so it makes it harder to select all files and batch rename.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry guys but all hidden files are hidden for some purpose. If you want you can turn off hidden files and access what you need other setting bookmarks (they can be to hidden folders) or a type shell shortcut like shell:appdata in the addressbar
arvid

Post by arvid »

nikos wrote:sorry guys but all hidden files are hidden for some purpose. If you want you can turn off hidden files and access what you need other setting bookmarks (they can be to hidden folders) or a type shell shortcut like shell:appdata in the addressbar
Thanks for replying. I just went back to the lite version instead. Having to go to options to switch hidden folders on and off again was just pointless and distracting from the evaluation.

Just seemed odd that there is no way to go back to the behaviour of the previous version as Xplorer2 is all about allowing the user to customise their installation to suit.

p.s. tried it on two diff machines and on XP it keeps the old behaviour, so just Windows 7 then.
M8R

Post by M8R »

arvid wrote: p.s. tried it on two diff machines and on XP it keeps the old behaviour, so just Windows 7 then.
Confirmed.  I guess it’s something to do with Windows 7 then.  This is strange because version 1.7.2.6 (64-bit) behaved correctly.  Xplorer2 obeyed Window’s “hide protected operating system files” setting in 1.7.2.6 for Windows 7, but now it does not for version 1.8.0.0.  It works fine on XP though (I tested it on a XP virtual machine).
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

M8R wrote: I have to say that I liked how it was before -- xplorer2 shows all hidden files and folders EXCEPT the super-hidden ones.  It would be nice if you brought this functionality back.
+1 .  

I would not like to see desktop.ini or AlbumArt_{A0D38F88-E8B9-46F7-B4FB-6BD1A73DA909}_Small.jpg album art thumbnails generated by windows media player my folders. But at the same time I'm interested in looking at other hidden files in system32 or windows folders. I liked X2's old behavior.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the old behaviour could be cute but was crippled. xplorer2 couldn't find files and folders super hidden. That was corrected for v1.8

you can set a visual filter to hide files with H attribute and leave it on all the time if necessary
arvid

Post by arvid »

Cute is good too. The option to keep behaviour that is familiar would be nice.
nikos wrote:the old behaviour could be cute but was crippled. xplorer2 couldn't find files and folders super hidden. That was corrected for v1.8
not in xp but Vista and 7?

I very rarely (never) browse through the System Volume Information folder or try to edit the boot.ini directly but ...
if I did, I would turn on the option to see them in Windows Explorer (hence xplorer2) system files do access non system hidden files a lot.
nikos wrote:you can set a visual filter to hide files with H attribute and leave it on all the time if necessary
Wouldn't that hide hidden and 'super hidden' files - same as in options? Did a test and it hides all hidden files/folders not just the super hidden.
arvid

Post by arvid »

Are there any other options besides hide files with H attribute, because that does exactly the same as the check box in options.

I want to hide super hidden (system) files and folders but see hidden folders.
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

I like to be 100% aware and sure of every file on every volume or partition I'm working on, local or remote.  

And... what about the "visible" incongruency of reported free disk space?  With any files or folders hidden, it's less evident what is consuming disk space.

Maybe part of the forgetfulness of getting older, but I personally don't ever want ANY files or folders hidden.  "Out of sight is out of mind" sort of thing...
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
arvid

Post by arvid »

MegaZapFan, I'm not a power user, so I don't feel the need to be able to view or edit most system files (wouldn't use a 3rd party app to do that anyway).

I just would like a way to go back to the previous viewing behaviour, I.E. hide 'super hidden' files only. Or a link to the previous pro version so I can trial that.

edit: found out S attribute, so sorted.

P.S. nikos, the behaviour I mentioned is not consistent between XP and Windows 7. In XP, the old behaviour still works and In Windows 7 it doesn't. I assume the portable version will act the same depending upon which OS it's used under?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes, the super hidden file change is only for win 7 (perhaps vista too) and it's the same for all versions of xplorer2