plugin proposal: DTS

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Would you use a DTS plug-in instead Omni-Finder?

YES
7%
NO
73%
I don't know what DTS does.
20%

Total votes: 15

the_1provider

plugin proposal: DTS

Post by the_1provider »

Greetings.

How about a Desktop Search application plug-in that indexes file names and content? Omni-Finder is really useful but it is quite slow especially when it searches for files based on existing content...

Best regards.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am thinking of a WDS improvement although not as a plugin to xplorer2. At any rate if you want WDS you just use the search box in windows explorer and then perhaps pass the resutls in a xplorer2 scrap window for further processing

what nags me about WDS is:

1 you can't search for partial text, only full keywords

2 you can't control where it searches (eg i don't want to search for emails right now, just under some folder)

3 search criteria specification is poor, e.g. to search for content you must do a search twice!

#1 is unsolvable but the other 2 could be improved with some sort of tool one can write
the_1provider

Post by the_1provider »

nikos wrote:At any rate if you want WDS you just use the search box in windows explorer and then perhaps pass the resutls in a xplorer2 scrap window for further processing
But that would just mean opening another application, isn't it? Not cool...

I also red several posts of yours and I found one where you state that you couldn't make a better DTS than those available on the market, of course in/with a reasonable time and effort.
Maybe not.
But you can sure gradually(first just the filenames, then content, etc) add some indexing capabilities that would speed up the searching process within Omni-Finder.
Or find someone able to create a plug-in, such as FSE for TC.

I also think that you do an extraordinary job with Xplorer2 and the fact that it has so many functionality makes it please so many users because it has something to offer for each user.

Best regards.
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

What is DTS?

What is WDS?  :shock:
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

CrossX wrote:What is DTS?

What is WDS?  :shock:
WDS is Windows Desktop Search (something which was in Windows XP as add-on, but now it's built-in in Vista and 7).

DTS, I guess, is DeskTop Search. Although, I've never seen such acronym used before.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:2 you can't control where it searches (eg i don't want to search for emails right now, just under some folder)

3 search criteria specification is poor, e.g. to search for content you must do a search twice!
2 - "kind:=document <your term here>"

3- who cares, if the search is lightning fast? same goes for inability to search for a partial text.

I for one would like to have an option to search using WDS within x2.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
the_1provider

Post by the_1provider »

wasker wrote:I for one would like to have an option to search using WDS within x2.
Me too, or any decent DeskTop Search software.
For now I added a user command that launches Locate32(file/folder names only, no content indexing capabilities) and another one for AutoFocus(used to be open-source and free, now replaced by Intella).
If anyone is interested to read more about DeskTop Search software the following address might help:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... pic=2434.0

Best regards.