Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/07Feb10-colu ... evived.htm

note it also includes the latest xplorer2 beta v1804
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RickyF »

Very nice. 64-bit version seems to be working fine on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

btw if you have heard of any good exif (picture data) shell extensions that add columns or any other useful column handlers let me know and i'll add them to the list
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

While I personally never noticed or cared about the missing Column Handler feature in Windows 7, I applaud Nikos for taking the time to revive something that I know many developers and even more users have been missing for months if not years.

Yet another feature that makes X² stand apart from the rest - Go Nikos! :-)
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:btw if you have heard of any good exif (picture data) shell extensions
Isn't that a built-in Windows feature?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there could be some camera details in the 300 explorer columns -- if you can find them!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Yep, there are. :)

Adding more columns would not improve it.  8)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
fylthy

Post by fylthy »

Hi Nikos, this is fantatsic... as the original poster of this question (specifically after the "audio sample rate", "audio sample size" and "channels" fields) I'm really impressed to see this implemented by you so quickly.

However, I have applied the 64-bit version update (I'm running Windows 7) and there are additional columns (including the sample rate, sample size and channels fields) but when I add them to my file view they are all blank.  I have tried a few different sets of files (both WAV and MP3) but none are listing this information under then newly added fields.

I appreciate any advice you could offer.  Cheers, Rachel
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you using windows columns or these new [X] columns in xplorer2? Can you see the same columns in windows explorer? See if they work at all there and then I can tell you more

i bet most of the old column handlers like audioshell will only work with 32 bit xplorer2
fylthy

Post by fylthy »

Oh yeah, if this is just an application of Audioshell into Xplorer2 then that won't work in a 64-bit environment, I tried Audioshell already and it is definitely 32-bit only.  Thanks anyway.
Squirrel1971

YEAH!!!

Post by Squirrel1971 »

THANKS!   And thanks for explaining WTF happened, as I was very confused when Vista took a step backwards it seemed with the different avaiilable properties it showed in the details view.

Since you know so much about the shell perhaps you know the answer to this question I have had for a long time:
When you select View > Customize this folder, is there a way to create new file type groups in addition to the Music, Documents, General, and Videos that have default columns appearing and view styles as their defaults?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry, can't help you there
billou31

X2 is simply incredible!

Post by billou31 »

I had already created a new c++ project in VS pieced together first few mthods in an attempt tp port Foldersize over for W7 support. I had the code from good old "Folder Size" on hand, read over the property handler api..

Once last google revealed the update for X2, I almost couldn't believe it when I read it.

W7 x64 an Foldersize-64 tested, working great together!

Yet another reason why X2 stands alone, remarkable product, keep up the great work!
Leo Davidson

Post by Leo Davidson »

nikos wrote:I am sure many 3rd party file managers will follow xplorer²'s example.
I'm not sure who is following whom considering some file managers never dropped/lost support for this stuff in the first place (even on Vista/Win7, even years ago when Vista was brand new). :-)

I totally agree that it was silly of Microsoft to remove the support from Explorer, though.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Leo Davidson wrote:I'm not sure who is following whom considering some file managers never dropped/lost support for this stuff in the first place
Shhh!  Sensitive ego, our Nikos has. :wink: Humour him.