blog: column handlers are back

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this would classify as an independent discovery then :)
any other file managers that offered this feature didn't do a very good PR job with it
tenrainbow

Blog Column Handlers are Back

Post by tenrainbow »

II need to compare the number of pages in a large number of
multipage tif files and the same files OCRd to Searchable PDF.
This works fine using explorer2 Version2 on windowsXP where
Pages can be reported for tif and PDF  files as an added Column
in a Search Scrap Pane.

Unfortunately I can only see  PDF file Page Numbers in Windows7.
not tifs
Any suggestions please,

Eric.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

type page in the available column filter box in <alt+K> column selection dialog, and try all the available page columns. If none of these works for tifs then you can google for a TIFF extension column handler and see if it helps
tenrainbow

Post by tenrainbow »

nikos wrote:type page in the available column filter box in <alt+K> column selection dialog, and try all the available page columns. If none of these works for tifs then you can google for a TIFF extension column handler and see if it helps
Unfortunately there is only one and that doesn't work with the tiff files. It does with PDF. I can't locate anything on the Web.

I have a workaround with Windows7 but it is clunky: use
Aware Systms AsTiffTagViewer but that only does one at a time!.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Eric
billou31

Post by billou31 »

It seems extremely bizarre that there is supposedly no way to provide custom column information on folders. If you can provide column data for a filetype with the property handler, then surely you can provide column data for a directory with a property handler, where instead of opening and reading some data from the file, you open the folder and enumerate the files and folders inside.

The blog entry mentions that the new property system is file-type/extension based, but it doesn’t say if you tried using AllFileSystemObjects. Perhaps that could be used to apply column information to folders.

I haven’t looked at it much, but couldn’t something like the eMule shell-extension (which uses the property system to provide column information for .part files) be adapted to provide column information for folders?
tenrainbow

Post by tenrainbow »

This comment from Microsoft Support might have something
to do with it:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 28c9dfa898

<By design the feature to display the page numbers for .TIFF files has been removed in the properties window for Windows 7.
Thanks and Regards:
Naman R - Microsoft Support. >

For now I am avoiding the issue by keeping WindowsXP on a spare drive where I can use Search and the scrap pane to find all the occasions where page counts do not match in conversions of Tiff to PDFSearchable files..

Eric.
ssinfod

Re: blog: column handlers are back

Post by ssinfod »

Hello,

I just downloaded xplorer2 and my goal is to used it with TortoiseSVN to view SVN custom properties in a new Column ("detailed view").

Right now, I am trying to add a Column but I don't see any "SVN Properties" in the choices. (After I pressed ALT+K or I select View, Select Columns..)

I don't have the "SVN Revision" like in your demo video.
In addition, I would like to use a "custom SVN Properties".

Can I do this with your xplorer2 software ?

Some links:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/tsvn.htm
http://zabkat.com/blog/07Feb10-column-h ... evived.htm

See example in the last image:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ExplorerIntegration.html
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/Tor ... tatus.html

Thanks
ssinfod
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

ssinfod wrote:Right now, I am trying to add a Column but I don't see any "SVN Properties" in the choices. (After I pressed ALT+K or I select View, Select Columns..)
If you are using the x64 version of TSVN you must also be using the x64 version of xplorer2 (or use x86 with x86 if that is your OS - either way, the versions must bitwise match). x2 may need to be restarted in order to pick up the new columns if SVN was installed anew in that same session.

The SVN columns will show up at the bottom of the list with [X] suffixes:

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

also for the latest TSVN you need to do a registry patch to enable the column handler as explained here
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?f=18 ... svn+column
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well, I don't know what the "latest version" means specifically, but considering I just downloaded/installed version 1.8.4 not an hour ago from one of his links above (without previously having had it installed, as I don't use TSVN) just to create the screenshot above, I don't think any reg-twiddling is necessary anymore.

It worked "out of the box" for me. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's because the column handler didn't change for ages, proably you were covered from your earlier install or/and patching
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...you were covered from your earlier install or/and patching
That would be difficult as I have never had TSVN installed (I don't use it), and thus never patched anything. It was never installed "earlier" at any stage either, as I uninstall things I install temporarily by using image backups.

What do you say to them apples, Mr. "I live further East than the rest of you so obviously the sun rises and shines out of my..."? :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in that case you may be right, the latest version could register the column handler. I have been pestering the TSVN guy to add this in his installer for some time without any response
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMe ... Id=3063702

or you are just an absent minded git who drung too much over christmas and have a blurred vision :beer:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

In fact I do have blurred vision, which is why I don't like some of these .ORG projects - many of their Windows ports have poor support for DPI awareness. That aside however, I'm also using a fresh install of Win7 x64 (no more than a month old), so I can guarantee it wouldn't know a column handler from the sexual harassment case the kitchen kettle is thinking about bringing against it. :wink:
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

What about xplorer² Ultimate?
Will D. Perkins