Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: blog: UAC survival guide

Post by Robert2 »

Hi Victor,
I am not sure this is relevant to your problem, but you might want to try your luck.
I was annoyed at Windows 10 asking repeatedly if I really wanted to allow such and such a program to run or worse “to make changes to my PC”.
I Googled for ways to deactivate the UAC prompts for specific (trusted) applications.
I found this page:
4 Ways to Disable User Account Control (UAC) for Specific Software in Windows
I downloaded “UAC Pass” from its original site at UAC Pass
I then dragged & dropped the xplorer² x64 executable onto the target area in the UAC Pass window. UAC Pass automatically created a shortcut on my Windows 10 Desktop.
Using this shortcut, I can now launch xplorer² directly with Administrative Privileges without getting any UAC prompt.
I have created such special shortcuts for a number of applications that Windows 10 insisted were “unknown” or “unsafe”.

HTH.
Best,
Robert
victor50

Post by victor50 »

I tried but it doesn't solve my problem. As stated running in elevated mode makes my networkshares disappear. I wonder very much why that is and if anything can be done about it. I just tested on my old windows 7 PC and there it works. When executing in elevated mode my shares are there and I can add a folder in program files without any prompt, using f8.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this blog and the idea is all about NOT running as administrator but getting by nevertheless. If you always run as admin then forget about your mapped drives. How many times do you need to work inside restricted folders anyway?
victor50

Post by victor50 »

OK, thats clear. I hope that after your good advise on this it would be left to the users discretion if he wanted this or not. And that something that worked in W7 and got broke in W10 would get some attention in the not too distant future.
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

victor50 wrote:...would like to run X2 in elevated mode in W10 P 64 (same problem in 32). However,...all my shares disappear so thats pretty useless....
Yeah, elevated you in Windows is kind of a different user so some stuff like mapped drives and folders don't persist. A little annoying - if the number of shares you have are fixed, you can create the identical mapped drives / folders as elevated then it will appear the same to you.

Alternatively, what I do is create a folder full of Symbolic Links to various places across hard drives, for example %SystemDrive%\Media lists all my media hard drives, regardless of which drive or computer the drive currently resides on. Mapped drives and folders have too many gotch-yas, and while SymLinks also have issues, there are fewer and it's easy to have a single script that can be run on any computer to setup the 'virtual directory'.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
victor50

Post by victor50 »

As I had issues with other programs as well (VFP not copying new exe to "program files (x86)") I gave in and:
"Run secpol.msc to open the Local Security Policy and navigate to Local Policies > Security Settings. In the right pane you will see a setting User Account Control: Turn on Admin Approval Mode. Double-click on it and select Disabled."

Don't know how to do this in home edition but that's another matter.