Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

AKAJohnDoe
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Windows 7 Libraries not working right under 1806 and 1807

Post by AKAJohnDoe »

I rolled back to 1805.

I have libraries set up and a tab to the library root soas to easily access all the libraries.

When I select certain libraries I am not only shown the contents of the libraries, but also it appears the contents of the contents of some of the locations.

I can recreate this in 1807 and 1806 and the problem does not happen in 1805.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the libraries in 1807 work exactly as in windows explorer, so you see a quasi-flat view when libraries store more than 1 location. Compare with your windows explorer
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:the libraries in 1807 work exactly as in windows explorer, so you see a quasi-flat view when libraries store more than 1 location. Compare with your windows explorer
I was going to stay out of this and just give up using Libraries in x2 x64, but at the very least I'll offer one last observation.

Accessed from the Tree, libraries are (de facto) a total waste of time.  Either they don't work at all (an audible notification upon clicking, but no action/no display of anything), or they merely display the contained folders (without contents) which some people seem to think is what WE shows - I maintain it does not, but I'm a drowning man who can shout no more above the waves.

Snakebyte ironically pointed out what he called a "bug" here, where if you access a library from a bookmark it presents the flattened view, which I consider correct.  This seems to be the only reliable way of accessing them, as the tree-mode is simply banjaxed beyond reason.

We've been through this, and no one seems to share a single view on how they're supposed to work (when they work at all).  An odd, if interesting, condition.

(I'm beginning to feel like Cosmo, going blue in the face trying to get his point across.  He can thank whatever God he believes in he's not using Win7 in this case. :D)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

only the root library folder is supposed to show itself flat

yes there is a bug that i can't figure out, why if you do it from the tree you don't see all the contents flat, but you do from a bookmark or if you browse into the library from a normal folder pane

ps can anybody try and test what happens with libraries across the network in the latest version 1807?
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Actually, if you observe carefully its not exactly flat view of all the files in Windows explorer. Its flat view with grouping always enabled.

In Win7, windows explorer supports grouping in all the modes including list view.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for the tip I'll see if i can make the groups work in list mode in W7

ok, I had (yet) another look at these libraries, and now I understand why people say they don't work in xplorer2. If you switch the library view in windows explorer to 'arrange by type' then you see all the contents completely flat, and get also funny 'folders' that correspond to each document type

this is way too wacky to be incorporated in xplorer2  :shock:
i don't even know how to do it with the standard shell interfaces
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:this is way too wacky to be incorporated in xplorer2  :shock:
i don't even know how to do it with the standard shell interfaces
Yeah, that's the quasi-flat thing for you.  If there could at least be a general consensus on a desired compromise of how they ought be handled (displayed) it might go a long way to simplifying things in explanation to new users who will no doubt raise the issue in future.  At least sort out the tree-access mess.

And, long-term, hope they prove as unpopular with "the silent masses" (who seem to avoid them as "not understood"), so even MS will give up on them in future variations.  That said, MS seems intent on foisting "The Ribbon" on people whether they like it or not, so I wouldn't hold my breath. :shrug:

(Edit: And if one of the sysops might consolidate these threads, it would at least give us something to point people to when declaring "we just don't know yet what's at the end of the rainbow.")
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ consolidate ... threads -
Unfortunately that is not an option with the current forum software.
I can split, I can remove, I can rename and edit, but not consolidate.
And if I could, it would problematic to follow the multiple entangled conversations that would result.  Best to simply provide links to the related threads in each -- something you can do with less effort in your own posts than I can.  (You have better awareness of which are the related threads than does this bemused reader.)  ;)
AKAJohnDoe
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AKAJohnDoe »

There is a difference between 1085 and (1086/1807) on my machine. Observe both displaying the libraries on the top panel and the Software Library on the lower panel:

1806/1807 incorrectly flattens the first level of folders.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fgagnon wrote:(You have better awareness of which are the related threads than does this bemused reader.)  ;)
You know, every homicidal maniac starts out with someone not taking the depth of their feelings seriously.  "Bemused."  <Sniff>.  Fine, be that way.  Just leave me for the wolves and prostitutes.

Mainly it was just three threads: A, B and this one (which contains the breakthrough moment of Nikos admitting that he really did actually inhale).  

It was just a thought, as no doubt this topic will resurrect itself more often than Easter in a month of Sundays, and this way we could at least show that it's been discussed (in one place) before telling them to "Use the Force, Luke, and Libraries might work for thee."

Foiled by phpBB once again.  C'est la vie. :cry:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

AKAJohnDoe wrote:1806/1807 incorrectly flattens the first level of folders.
Hence the source of one level of confusion - I'm of the tribe that thinks it's supposed to flatten the first level of folders.  (Though I do admit, two desktop.ini's is rather amusing, and an obvious problem with flattening things.)

If Libraries were meant to be viewed as nothing more than nested folders... they'd be... well... nested folders.  :?
AKAJohnDoe
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AKAJohnDoe »

snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Kilmatead wrote:I'm of the tribe that thinks it's supposed to flatten the first level of folders.  (Though I do admit, two desktop.ini's is rather amusing, and an obvious problem with flattening things.)
I don't want X2 to flatten library root the way it currently does. X2 should flatten AND turn on automatic grouping by folder when browsing this folder (The way Windows Explorer does it even in list view mode).
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

snakebyte wrote:I don't want X2 to flatten library root the way it currently does. X2 should flatten AND turn on automatic grouping by folder when browsing this folder.
Yeah, sorry, that's what I'm in full agreement about - and mean by quasi-flatten (and should have said in the first place).  I'm just against the emphasising of displaying folders-only as opposed to folders-and-all as the default compromise - if one is needed.  

Unfortunately Nikos didn't sound optimistic with the grouping concept for some reason.
AKAJohnDoe
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AKAJohnDoe »

Yes. Windows Explorer.exe and X2 Build 1805 both work identically, and correctly. X2 Builds 1806 and 1807 do not work correctly.