// Handling selections in subfolders w/ Sync Wizard //

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RickTrelles

// Handling selections in subfolders w/ Sync Wizard //

Post by RickTrelles »

My main interest in xplorer2 is to make selections of only new stuff including subfolders, so I can move the selection to a disc burning program and burn only the updated stuff.

Apparently sync wiz does the selection but one can´t see the selected items inside subfolders. Apparently the selection is gone if one tries to open a subfolder to check.

I think the subfolders should be highligted if they contain something selected, and of course dragging a highlighted folder should drag only what is selected.

If the selection could be kept until requested to be canceled, even if the folders are opened, it would be helpful too.

Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the easier way to manage 'copy only changed files' scenario is to use robust copy with 'overwrite if newer else skip' option. See here for more explanations:
http://www.zabkat.com/tour/copy.htm
RickTrelles

Post by RickTrelles »

I don´t want just to copy, I need to burn a rewritable dvd with the addition of changed files. So I need the selection highlighted to drag it to the burning program. As I said, sync wiz seems to make the selections right but if all the selected files are inside subdirectories I can´t see and grab the selection.

Rick
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hm, a little workaround could be this:

Use a 2-windowed scrap pane. First you flatten one folder (the DVD I presume) with Shift-Enter or Browse Flat from the File Menu. (If you don't have 2 windows in the scrap pane go to that with Ctrl-O).

Now flatten your other folder in the same way. I don't know a direct way to to this in the other pane of the already open scrap pane. So you just drag the content of the 2nd scrap into the 2nd pane of the first.

Now you have all the contents of the folders flattened and you can compare these with the sync wizard.

Then you copy the selection of the changed files with Ctrl-C or otherwise.

Then you use the command "paste structures scrap clips" from the Edit/Paste Special menu into a temporary folder you created beforehand.

So now you should have a folder structure with only the new folders and files available you should be able to drag into your burning program.

Request for Nikos:

It would be nice if the commands in paste special for structured scrap clips and maybe also for multipaste could also paste hardlinks.

I missed this feature on several occasions since you could speed up the copy process and save a lot of harddisk space if you're only using the same partition which often is the case.

Can this be tweaked into a future update?
RickTrelles

Post by RickTrelles »

Apparently, the answer is no, currently I can´t make a simple selection of changed/new files including subfolders so I can drag it to another program.

OK, maybe I´ll try the BRX idea of doing a temporary transfer to an empty folder, and from there copy to the burner. (BTW, there is no flatten option in the File menu, nor Shift-Enter does anything, but I'll figure it out anyway).

Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm not sure how you manage this task. If you don't have anything to compare against, what is 'new and changed'?

you can try flattening folders, sorting by date modified, then all the newest files will be on top, if that's of any help
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

RickTrelles wrote:(BTW, there is no flatten option in the File menu, nor Shift-Enter does anything).
Uncheck "Plain Menus" in Tools -> Options -> Window.

Shift-Enter requires a folder to be selected first.
RickTrelles

Post by RickTrelles »

As I said, I need to drag the selection to the burner program's window. With a flattened view the subfolder structure is lost and the burner's window recieves everything in the root folder.

(Thank you Kilmatead. Now I know I have to select all in the regular pane to produce the flattened view with Shift-Enter.)

Rick