Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BugHunter

Stop the laziness, update the changes.txt, now please

Post by BugHunter »

What have changed in:
1.8.0.9(11.Mar.10)
and

Why don't you update the changes.txt file ? :?:

I use this file to decide if i should bother to update but if you don't updating it then we have a problem  :evil:

So stop being so lazy and update the changes.txt file, please ! :!:
acheton

Post by acheton »

I agree with this sentiment too - I always look at the change log to see what's changed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nothing of interest to the end user
bug fixes as reported in the forum
BugHunter

Post by BugHunter »

nikos wrote:nothing of interest to the end user
bug fixes as reported in the forum
I disagree with out most distaste. :shock:
Never assume your users are stupid and/or can't read a fix log.

To x2 users: didn't you just notice what nikos hinted at, what he thinks about you, so why do i not see a reaction ? do you all or most of your agree with nikos that your are stupid and/or can't read a fix log ?

I couldn't resist to put it in plain text, sorry  :twisted:

To Nikos: Laziness is just laziness plain and simple, trying to justify your lack of action (laziness) just proves that your lazy.

Should i ask for some of my money back now since your not fulfilling your part of the deal ? Seems like your getting a bit too much for so little work. :roll:
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Unfair attack

Post by RickyF »

@BugHunter

Nikos is a developer who listens to and responds to his users. In my experience, he respects us, much more than most faceless corporate employees.

Your words of insinuation are wrong and hurtful to me, and I suspect, other members of this forum. If you don't like the way the bug fixes are communicated there are better ways to communicate your wish for change than you chose.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

100% agree with you RickyF.

If you read the forum regularly BugHunter you will know what issues have been reported, and therefore what is likely to have been fixed or changed.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Bughunter,
Since you're asking us straightaway: sorry, you have no idea how wrong you are.
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

BugHunter

Post by BugHunter »

CrossX wrote:Image
And here comes the trolls  :wink:
BugHunter

Post by BugHunter »

To RickyF, Gandolf and Mr.Pleasant:
Instead of just telling me that i'm wrong, how about you tell me why i'm wrong. Convince me please.

To Gandolf:
If you read the forum regularly BugHunter you will know what issues have been reported, and therefore what is likely to have been fixed or changed.
I do must admit that i'm not a regular visitor to this forum the reason for that is time, i don't have time to read all threads, that's why i like nikos to continue updating the change log, properly.
I have a family, a job and hobbies, and i don't want to waste time by searching for posts about changes in recent updates (especially when it's the developers job / responsibility to tell what have changed in an update ).

And no i'm not a "troll"
I'm just expressing my current opinion and concerns and if that makes me a troll then we all are trolls.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

We are all trolls to a degree.   :roll:
And not all are as serious as others.  :shock:
Each has his opinion and will hopefully share in constructive manner -- even humorously with the hope it will be taken as intended.  :spin:

On the subject issue, nikos' position has always been that he does not describe minor fixes.  
My opinion is that, as a minimum courtesy, he should at least put a disclaimer at the top of changes.txt explicitly stating that position.  
My preference would be that every new addition get at least a one liner à la: "misc. bug fix(es)" but preferably describing the update, even as simply as "improved compatibility with <name of app>".  This would better address the needs of the majority of users who do not visit the forum regularly.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

For me (as a user who likes to recommend x²) it is hard to explain why people should update to a newer version when the change logs don't differ.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
BugHunter

Post by BugHunter »

fgagnon wrote: My preference would be that every new addition get at least a one liner à la: "misc. bug fix(es)" but preferably describing the update, even as simply as "improved compatibility with <name of app>".  This would better address the needs of the majority of users who do not visit the forum regularly.
I agree partially, "a one liner à la: "misc. bug fix(es)"" would not be enough description ( to motivate me to update, i would need more info ), the least he could do is add some small description about what bug was fixed, so the affected users would know, but what i would prefer would be a more detailed (geeky) message.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

I didn't think BugHunter was a troll...  Just really frustrated.
Please try not to be hurtful with your words though...  
Nikos responds well and you don't need to blast him, especially with an OP.
jasperlotus

Post by jasperlotus »

@BugHunter: You can contact Nikos via support email to know what is changed in the new version. If Nikos were lazy he would never release newer versions of x2 regularly. As you know, coding is hard, fixing bugs is much more harder and write a few lines about what is beeing fixed in the change log is too EASY. Your words are hurtful to me, too!