layout toolbar button shuffle

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

layout toolbar button shuffle

Post by FrizzleFry »

When I saved a new layout the layout toolbar buttons were changed.

The new layout altered the order of the layout list in the Window menu and changing that order affected what layout the toolbar buttons correspond to.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you do that again?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Yes I can but I see what the deal is... it's the same issue I have reported before... changing the order of customization items in one layout screws up the toolbar buttons of the other layouts.

What confused me was that when you save a layout that layout becomes active... so closing the new layout and opening the previous one will show the problem.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote:...changing the order of customization items in one layout screws up the toolbar buttons of the other layouts.
One of the reasons I consigned myself to never ever deleting unused User Commands or Bookmarks.  It just isn't worth the trouble.  :cry:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Yeah... but sometimes I just can't help myself... I have to organize. Also, with layouts you have no choice because the list is alpha sorted automatically. Basically I wish Nikos would change this so that the list order has nothing to do with the toolbar buttons.

What makes this worse is that toolbars are not global so whenever I do organize the custom commands I have to fix the same toolbar in 3 other layouts. At least reorganizing the user items makes recreating the toolbar pretty quick.

On a related note.. Nikos, why is it that the 0 user command gets mixed in with the built in ones in the customize toolbar window?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you give me a very small detailed example to reproduce the problem?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

This is the Default layout:

notice the 4 layout buttons in the bottom toolbar...

I save a new layout called example:

I close the example layout and open Default layout again:

notice that the last two layouts in the toolbar have changed...

All layout toolbar buttons for names alphabetically after the new name in all existing layouts have now changed.

A quick fix for this specific problem is to not automatically reorder the layout list but the real fix is to change the way toolbar buttons are associated with the custom items so that adjusting the list order does not affect the button.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

FrizzleFry wrote: real fix is to change the way toolbar buttons are associated with the custom items so that adjusting the list order does not affect the button.
+1 This is a very old and nagging bug which has made me pull my hair when ever I have tried to organize my 35+ user commands and their toolbar icons.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

allright, so this isn't a problem with toolbars in general, only with those that have layout buttons on them (i fixed all other toolbars i believe with v1.8)

I will have a look

in the future I think I'll add an option so that toolbar buttons will be in the global registry section so that they are shared between layouts
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote:allright, so this isn't a problem with toolbars in general, only with those that have layout buttons on them (i fixed all other toolbars i believe with v1.8)
I would say partially fixed... if you rearrange the user commands list it wont affect the toolbar buttons in the current layout but it does change the toolbar buttons (for user commands that were moved) in other layouts.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this fault with the alphabetical layout names runs deeper than I imagined. It's very hard to fix too :(
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I haven't seen a toolbar shuffle for months; but when I booted up this morning ... voila!  
I had not changed nor saved new bookmarks nor made a new layout yesterday nor done anything unusual that I recall, but today the toolbar buttons are shuffled. :?