Feature Request: Merge Folders Capability

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mjolnir

Feature Request: Merge Folders Capability

Post by mjolnir »

Hello,

I'd like submit a feature request to add merge folder capability. Often times I'd like to select multiple folders and then merge them into a single one. I know you can do it in Windows 7 by renaming each folder one at a time but I'm looking for support for merging multiple folders.

Thanks!
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

This seems like a reasonable idea.  There've been several times in the past that I've merged multiple folders.  I just tried to do this as a 'test' and was unable.  If I select multiple folders, then choose 'rename,' the Bulk Rename utility comes up (as expected), but if I try to rename them all with a common name, I get an error:
xplorer²
---------------------------
Your name template has no variability ($-token).

All the files will be renamed using the same target name; continue anyway?
Yes   No  
mjolnir

Post by mjolnir »

I've tried using the batch rename before like you did as well but it only renames the first folder when you click "Yes" to continue anyway.

I just double checked to verify that this still happens in the latest pro version.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Same here.  Renames the first folder (after the error message), then won't rename the others...  I guess this is an important debug feature... Don't want to accidentally give them all the same name.  Would be nice if you could do so on purpose (thus merging).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's easy to merge folder contents.
1. put all the folders you need in a scrap window (e.g. File > browse flat)
2. select all and press ctrl+C
3. create a new folder and paste in there!
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Better even paste with Ctrl-H (if you're on the same partition of course). Quicker and no additional space required.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:it's easy to merge folder contents.
1. put all the folders you need in a scrap window (e.g. File > browse flat)
2. select all and press ctrl+C
3. create a new folder and paste in there!
I think 'Browse Flat' is the way to go (rather than Send To Scrap).  If you use sticky mode to select all the folders, 'Browse Flat' will extract their contents in one shot.
BRX wrote:Better even paste with Ctrl-H (if you're on the same partition of course). Quicker and no additional space required.
On my system, Ctrl-H just brings up the visual filter dialog...
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Also, if you want to preserve the folder structure of your selection, you can use Edit > Paste special > Structured scrap clips.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

kunkel321 wrote:
BRX wrote:Better even paste with Ctrl-H (if you're on the same partition of course). Quicker and no additional space required.
On my system, Ctrl-H just brings up the visual filter dialog...
My bad. I meant Ctrl-Alt-H (pasting hardlinks).
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Once again, I offer a bit of a kluge that's relatively handy. Suction from Dr. Nathan at http://drnathan.teamhackaday.com/software/suction/ merges vertically perfectly. In the horizontal case, I just drag the folders and plop them into one of the folders and then issue a suction command from there (I have it in the right-click menu). Four clicks and a drag and your done. Dr. Nathan is responsive (I tested it for him through some issues with logging ... I didn't want it and it kept insisting). And he's improved the app considerably since the last complaint I had. You can have duplicate files replaced OR renamed (a saver for accidents when I combined loads of bmp/icon file folders). All in all its worth a lot more than its free cost.

Hope it helps, GM