Sometimes feels too complicated... casual user advice?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RobOK

Sometimes feels too complicated... casual user advice?

Post by RobOK »

I always feel like I am not getting enough out of xplorer2, i use it every day but mostly for having Tabs and Dual pane.  I have a few shortcuts set up.  I don't know many keyboard commands other than Find.

I want to get more out of the tool.... I would be interested to know what features "took you to the next level" with this tool?

I don't get scrap windows and "flattening" -- i don't know if I am missing out.  I think one time i turned on Simple Menus, but something was missing (I forget what).

Any advice appreciated...

Rob.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

The best advice I can offer is to just use the features you know that apply to what you need to do file management wise.  
That means starting with what you know; and if that gets the job done, then that's enough.  Don't worry about missing exotic features.  x2 was designed for functionality, not as an uber-geek contest in file management arcana.  
In other words, if there is a feature that you just don't "get", you probably don't need it; although you might want to read the corresponding parts of the User Manual in detail for items you are curious about.  

But when you have a file management task that seems like it calls for an easier approach than what you know, then ask here in the forums if you can't find an alternative idea in the User Manual.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

I would recommend to read the PDF manual - sometimes you may find there a feature you wouldn't even think of otherwise, which suddenly solves a problem of yours. Feels like epiphany.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
RobOK

Post by RobOK »

wasker wrote:I would recommend to read the PDF manual - sometimes you may find there a feature you wouldn't even think of otherwise, which suddenly solves a problem of yours. Feels like epiphany.
I have read the manual in the past, but will try again.  Am looking at the getting started.

An example of what I am looking for is

Code: Select all

:search_term  shift_ENTER
in the address bar will filter files.  That seems handy.

Most of my needs are for navigating and finding files.

I often need to add a folder and forget whether the menu choice is under Tools or Actions and I don't remember the function key.
RobOK

Post by RobOK »

snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Since you are looking for better navigation options try the cascading menus. They really speedup folder browsing

http://www.zabkat.com/blog/22Jul07.htm

Just watch the video in above blog if you don't want to read.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I'd say turn on the Help > How do I? menu command and watch the demo videos. Learning can't get easier than that
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fgagnon wrote:x2 was designed for functionality, not as an uber-geek contest in file management arcana.
When I was a child I saw this photograph in Life Magazine, published with the caption stating "Taken shortly before he killed himself on July 2nd, 1961":

For some reason the lugubrious vibrancy of its significance has stuck with me all these years, and Fred's statement reminded me of it.  Even in my current state of sleeping with the vampires, I couldn't resist the echo of spiritus arcanum in memory.

Disclaimer: though it may appear wildly off-topic, this post is, in fact, salient to the OP's query - if easily misunderstood. :wink:

And I wouldn't have it any other way.
RobOK

Post by RobOK »

snakebyte wrote:Since you are looking for better navigation options try the cascading menus. They really speedup folder browsing

http://www.zabkat.com/blog/22Jul07.htm

Just watch the video in above blog if you don't want to read.
Thats a GREAT one....  I did not know you could right click on the breadcrumbs!

Thanks!