Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Couple of questions from noobie

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 04, 15:38 that's why I suggested using the new QAL
I appreciate you tried showing me alternative options.
I am not using the tree view and even if I did, the QAL is full of invalid paths of folders that have been moved around.
I prefer having stuff on the toolbars, so in the end I'll resort to scripts as user commands that I can place wherever I want on a toolbar.

Anyway, X2 is still the best thing that happened to file management. I feel severely handicapped in any other file manager.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

IneedHelp wrote: 2021 May 04, 16:16 I am not using the tree view and even if I did, the QAL is full of invalid paths of folders that have been moved around.
on this point, QAL is showing the most frequently used folders. There are options to prevent it doing so and show only folders you put in there yourself. See the help file for details
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

El_Ingeniero wrote: 2010 Sep 18, 18:12 is there anyway to make the tab blank? sometimes it opens a big subfolder that slows down the whole process!
Create a user command as such:

Code: Select all

>"%X2DIR%\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:YourLayout /1 /N /M /T "C:\_empty"
where you insert your layout name if you use any and the path to an empty folder, and when you execute such a command, a new tab with the empty folder will be opened, which is as close as you can possibly get to a "blank tab".

You might have to adjust the parameters you're using for the command, but you get the general idea. And you can set a keyboard shortcut to it, like Ctrl+0 for instance
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

IneedHelp wrote: 2021 May 12, 15:13 Create a user command as such:

>"%X2DIR%\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:YourLayout /1 /N /M /T "C:\_empty"
where you insert your layout name if you use any and the path to an empty folder, and when you execute such a command, a new tab with the empty folder will be opened, which is as close as you can possibly get to a "blank tab".
I don't understand what you're trying to do with this user command? This opens up a new instance of x2, not a new tab within the existing x2 active pane.

---------------------
PJ in FL
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

pj wrote: 2021 May 16, 11:49 I don't understand what you're trying to do with this user command? This opens up a new instance of x2, not a new tab within the existing x2 active pane.
For me it opens a new tab with the specified path.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

In an X² windows that is already open?

Interesting. Does this require some sort of setting that either reuses the same X² window, or else only allows one instance of X² to run?

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 16, 18:13 In an X² windows that is already open?
Yes, and if a tab with the path already exists, then X2 switches to it, if not, it opens a new tab with the specified path. And yes, I have X2 set to run as a single instance.

Basically I do this to replace bookmarks that would sit on a toolbar anyway, but instead of bookmarks, it's user commands. Hence the 99 user commands with icons limit is limiting > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11998

And really, just running

>"%X2DIR%\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:YourLayout "C:\_empty"
is enough, those switches I mentioned before aren't needed in the current context.